Versatrak rear diff groan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yeah, haven't posted here in a long while. My dad just got himself a 2006 Equinox (only 117kms/72700 miles) with Versatrak AWD which works a treat but makes a slightly uncomfortable groaning sound when activated such as when in deep snow. At no other time does the AWD system exhibit any noise. I assume this noise is similar to the noise you might hear when a limited slip diff has worn out fluid. Would that be the case even with only 727000 miles?

I don't have an Equionox but I can share my experiences with GM AWD. The front diff can "growl" on the highway as it starts to wear out. One time I used a universal ATF in the transfer case and it made a strange slipping sensation around corners. I put in the correct fluid and the problem went away. I also have to change the chain at some point. Its loose, i can hear it. Jumps when i pull hard. The only problem I had in the rear was a faulty u-joint, it would clunk through the gears.

FWIW different car but my 2016 Challenger had a groan when going around sharp turns, so I drained and refilled the rear with 4 OZ. Lubegard additive and Synthetic 75W-90 oil. Groan went away. That being said, I agree with the others who say the fluid is worn out and/or needs the additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Perhaps a drain and fill of Versatrak + fluid is in order

I know Honda diffs can get noisy if they're due for fresh fluid

+1 Owners manual calls for Versatrak in diffs and transfer case. Time for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back