Ceramic Coating for SS headers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does ceramic coating SS headers actually help with under hood temps or is it strictly a cosmetic and rust prevention procedure? I’m debating having my new Kooks headers coated before install. I have a MACH I style fiberglass hood on my 05 Mustang and it has open scoops and raised area in the back so there is plenty of air flow under the hood. If coating will help with the temperature, I would have it done. If not, I’ll skip it. The car is used mostly for weekend cruises to car shows.

I had the headers on my Jeep CJ7 (with 350 V8) ceramic coated. It was an option when ordering them and if I recall it wasn't cheap. I was talked into it by promises of lower under hood temps and better exhaust flow due to heat being retained and exhausted out. I honestly could not tell if the coating did anything meaningful or not. But regardless, 20 years later the pipes are still in good shape. The old mild steel headers I replaced were rusty and rotted out in 5 years. So if anything the coating extended the life of my headers.

Yes, it can help underhood temps.

Are you looking at internal or external coating? Internal is the good stuff.

On a vintage '66 track only Mini, yes; makes a heckuva difference, particularly since the intake and exhaust flows are so close. On a driver/crusier? Cosmetic.

Kevin

I have yet to get prices on both external and internal. Will do do this week. The car is all ready supercharged so performance is not my main concern. I’m just concerned about under hood temps.

I had a set done by Jet Hot years ago on 4-1 side pipes, it really dropped under hood temps and temps where the collectors were.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I had a set done by Jet Hot years ago on 4-1 side pipes, it really dropped under hood temps and temps where the collectors were.

Jet Hot did the track pipe on my M6; they did an excellent job but my main concern was rust prevention.

Cerakote is the best. It’s more expensive but when properly done ceramic coating actually locks the majority of the heat inside the exhaust. Heard many testimonials from folks saying the exhaust was only warm to the touch after a spirited drive.

Originally Posted By: LAGA
Does ceramic coating SS headers actually help with under hood temps or is it strictly a cosmetic and rust prevention procedure?

Jet Hot is the industry standard. their classic polish not only reduces heat but looks fantastic. If it was just about reducing heat with no concern about how it looks header wrap does the job for a lot less money. They looked just as good after 5 yrs.

https://www.jet-hot.com/classic-polish/

I had quite a bit Jet Hot coated on my V8 SHO.

y-pipe-and-manifolds.jpg

The manifolds held up good and for the most part so did the Y pipe. The Y pipe flaked off in spots. It had 70+k miles on it. They suggest only new or you blast to clean before coating. Jet Hot just does a rudimentary cleaning before coating.

That's interesting, did coating the LIM also prevent heat from getting to it? I never thought about using it for that but if it does keeping the air charge cooler may have some benefit.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That's interesting, did coating the LIM also prevent heat from getting to it? I never thought about using it for that but if it does keeping the air charge cooler may have some benefit.
It did with the surge tank that was hanging over the rear exhaust manifold. The lower intake was only a couple inches thick. I had phenolic spacers between it and the heads.

Jet Hot wants $600 and two weeks for two pieces of the headers. Ill get local pricing later this week.

Its not cheap that's for sure but like anything else you get what you pay for. I see some ceramic jobs cracking near the head, check their work before parting with the cash.

After doing a bunch of searches, Jet Hot has like a 60-40 preference over Cerakote. What it comes down to is the people who do the application as both products are very similar. I found a place 1.5 miles from my house that does the Cerakote product for $350 and 10 days for application, inside and out.
The high temp product comes in black which will match my car, so I will be going with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back