Starter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Mustang GT with 50K miles. I will be installing LT headers on it when it warms up. Since I need to remove the starter to install the headers, do you think I should replace the starter with only 50K miles or leave it in? A new starter runs about $130. The car is no longer a daily driver and will only be used on weekends now. It also has a Edelbrock supercharger which I installed last year.

You going to put in a chrome starter or something fancy? How hard is it to replace if you don't do it now?

If the headers will make it a lot more difficult to replace the starter then it may be a good idea. Only trouble is if you go with a parts store rebuilt you will probably end up with a trashy starter that will fail sooner than if you just left the OEM one on. I think I would just keep the original on there. Maybe just clean up the terminals and such while in there.

I'd leave the original on. 50k is pretty young, lots of life left. For sure WAY more life left than a parts store one.

Headers depending on style can really bump up starter temps resulting in heat soak issues.
Over the years I find shielding the starter and steering racks on transverse mounted engines really extends the life of these components.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Headers depending on style can really bump up starter temps resulting in heat soak issues.
Over the years I find shielding the starter and steering racks on transverse mounted engines really extends the life of these components.

To add to Trav's post, disassemble clean and lube the starter while you have it out.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd leave the original on. 50k is pretty young, lots of life left. For sure WAY more life left than a parts store one.

+1

50k mile factory starter has more life left in it than a parts store starter, which is what I assume you would be getting for $130. My friend has been through about 3 of those junk parts store starters on his truck. The quality is terrible, stick with the factory one if you can.

X3.I bought a 48$ starter from Amazon. It was a brand spanking new clone of the Rat's original starter. The Rat doesn't see much use. Looking back, that starter started the engine less than 200 times before the armature shorted. The original starter still worked. It rattled like a maraca, due to worn out bushings. I used the armature and the solenoid from it to make a good'un. As a starter story goes, this is a fairly good one. I will eat the core charge on a rebuilt unit until I find out if the new one works better. My master strategy for my entire car fixing life is to have a parts car. stuffed behind the shop. It has worked exceptionally well. For those who don't have a parts car, get your starters,etc, from a junk yard. You know a used starter worked at one time..
grin2.gif

I too would keep the OEM starter . If you are concerned , take it apart & lube it . Then put it back together and install after the headers are in place ( leak free ) .

Thanks for the input. Sorry I couldn’t get back sooner. I’m going to stick with the OEM. The header pipes will be wrapped and I’ll check out a heat shield. Service the starter and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back