Can airshocks be replace with regular shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Chrysler Town & Country mini van. Air shocks are bad and I would like to replace them with conventional shocks.

Will they just bolt in?

Any problems?

Thanks!

Look up the spring part #s to see if they different whether it has air shocks or conventional. If the springs are different you'll lose some load capacity but if the same, you should be fine.

I know they had aftermarket kits for the old panther body Lincoln town car/ crown Vic's/mercury grand marquis

You can check any local wrecking yards for a set. I would suggest looking at the newer generation 01-07. I was able to find a set that was almost brand new for $40.

I did exactly this on an oldsmobile silhouette. I just looked up shocks for a cheaper chevy venture. Worked fine.

I knew a person who replace their air suspension (with level ride) with regular shocks but the car sags and bottoms out because he has 2 VERY VERY large daughters that ride in the back. They were probably the reason the original air shocks gave out.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I knew a person who replace their air suspension (with level ride) with regular shocks but the car sags and bottoms out because he has 2 VERY VERY large daughters that ride in the back. They were probably the reason the original air shocks gave out.

How large?

Originally Posted By: Collingwood
How large?

No, Joseph. Just stop. Nobody’s going to set you up with their giant daughters.

You can, but you will also need new springs (from the non-Nivomat model, they can be OEM or aftermarket), as the Nivomat shocks are paired with weak springs, which are almost just for show
smile.gif

Every car I have seen with air shocks also had softer springs. If you aren't prepared to replace your springs, you aren't prepared to swap out your air shocks for conventional ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back