Home

oil change tomorrow

Posted By: 93cruiser

oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:00 AM

So tomorrow will be the dreaded oil change day. I usually love changing oil, but not on my 2007 Tundra with the 5.7, never did.
8.5K on the oil, Mobil1 0w20, and a Napa Gold Filter. At least I will be good until about July-August.

155300 miles.
Posted By: SWS

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:32 AM

Good time to change it - good luck!
Posted By: eljefino

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:37 AM

Be sure to lay out what you're going to wear the night before so you're good n' ready.
Posted By: Gebo

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:40 AM

Why do you dread it?
Posted By: Matagonka

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:42 AM

Why do you dread it??
Posted By: Wurlitzer

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:45 AM

Why do you dread it???
Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:52 AM

I hate working on Tundras! Taking down the shield and how the filter is placed is absolute garbage. This is with an actual lift too. I can't image trying to DIY a tundra.
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I hate working on Tundras! Taking down the shield and how the filter is placed is absolute garbage. This is with an actual lift too. I can't image trying to DIY a tundra.

That was Toyota's plan.
Posted By: dlundblad

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 05:17 AM

Mom's 4Runner has a 1/4" thick skid that needs removed to get to the filter. Can't say I am a fan either.

Then it has a cartridge with some goofy push in valve thing that drains the housing before removal. I can never get that to work either.
Posted By: dishdude

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 05:27 AM

If I can crawl under my Fiat in the driveway with nothing but a 2x6 under one wheel (didn't have a second) I'm sure a Tundra is a cakewalk. You'll be fine! Just think of the beer waiting for you in the refrigerator.
Posted By: Merkava_4

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Be sure to lay out what you're going to wear the night before so you're good n' ready.

LOL! LOL
Posted By: anndel

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 09:13 AM

That stupid can-less filter which is messier than a regular filter.
Posted By: dishdude

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: anndel
That stupid can-less filter which is messier than a regular filter.

Only because Toyota designed it. Somehow GM, Chrysler and Fiat can design a cartridge filter that's right on top of the engine, simple to change and doesn't drip a drop of oil.
Posted By: Lubener

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Pack a lunch too. If things don't go as planned, there is always the corner where one can assume a fetal position to kick and scream.
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 12:22 PM

YouTube video says you should be able to do it in under 4 minutes. Oh wait, that's just the length of the yt video, sorry. (J/K) Do follow Homer's advice at the end of the video. So you have something to look forward to when you're done, have a couple cool ones chilled and ready to go. cheers

Posted By: Donald

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 01:42 PM

I have changed oil when I am lying in packed snow in the parking area. Not fun. But today in NJ should not be that bad weather wise.
Posted By: Kira

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 01:48 PM

I love how the skid plate requires 2 sizes of wrench, 10mm and 12mm.
I wonder if the thread size of the skip plate bolts differs as well.
Not just a MACRO INTELLIGENT idea to have 2 sizes of anything for such a simple job but to do so where it's likely the dimmest "mechanics" will be put on the job.

I looked at a vehicle in Lodi, NJ which matches the OP's description (engine and mile wise).

Yo, 93cruiser, did you buy that truck on Outwater Lane?
Posted By: Ethan1

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

That was Toyota's plan.

How does Toyota benefit from making the oil change on one vehicle somewhat annoying?

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

That was Toyota's plan.

How does Toyota benefit from making the oil change on one vehicle somewhat annoying?

You bring it to them of course!
Posted By: Ethan1

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

That was Toyota's plan.

You bring it to them of course!

Toyota doesn't service cars, their franchisees do. People are just as likely to go to a quick lube. You're grasping at straws, to say the least.
Posted By: DoubleWasp

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 04:23 PM

I don't think so. In my time, I've noticed Toyota and Ford being the worst offenders when it comes to engineering things so they are difficult to do yourself.

It's not a military secret that manufacturers would rather you ended up with their dealers than somewhere else. Why? Their dealers sell their parts. Other places don't.

The oil in our GS350 is kind of a pain to do itself. Why they mounted the oil filter down low, horizontal, in front of the engine? I have no idea. But at least they made a trap door in the undershield so I can get in there without having to take the whole thing down to reach the dumb thing.
Posted By: BobsArmory

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 04:28 PM

Because of the difficult filter placement on these vehicles I wonder how many quick lubes and dealerships fail to install a new filter.

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Because of the difficult filter placement on these vehicles I wonder how many quick lubes and dealerships fail to install a new filter.

You just struck on the very reason I stopped going to the quick lube type stores over twenty years ago. I got home from the 11 minute oil change store and I checked the level of the oil. I could see the filter below. Its was a bright sunny day no rain or puddles. The filter was obviously dirty and it didn't get that way driving two miles home.
Posted By: JustinH

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 05:05 PM

This filter is not uncommon. Looks like the same setup on my former 4 cylinder RAV-4's.

Just buy the tool, and buy a new filter media with the disposable "tool" to predrain the cartridge.

It takes like two minutes.

Pull the cap off the cartridge, insert the drain tool to drain oil into a pan, remove the cartridge, then put it back together with new O rings, and torque it down.

The key to not making a mess is the little disposable tool that comes with a new filter to drain the cartridge before you take it apart.
Posted By: 93cruiser

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 05:49 PM

I have owned the truck since new guys, just saying it sucks to do the oil on it. Stupid skid plate, terrible filter location/design. Takes too long compared to any other Toyota truck/4runner/land cruiser I have ever owned.

I did lay out my clothes prior, thanks, good tip.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: oil change tomorrow - 11/26/17 09:34 PM

The oil filter on the back of all those Honda 4-bangers is one of the worst.
Tundra ain't bad.
Enjoy yourself...
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy