How much will a v belt stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In have an old Exmark 21" mower where the self propel belt keeps coming off. I'm trying to decide if its the belt that's worn out and stretched or the grooved pulleys worn out.

The belt is completely cracked and doesn't even look like it's a v belt anymore. Lol I have the pulleys to replace, but I'm afraid it will be too much trouble to replace them.

Quite possible it's the pullely where they're down there getting blasted by sand. A new belt should fit only on the sides, it should not be "bottoming out".

My mom's Kia Spectra had a "V" belt for the alternator and it kept squealing and then one winter it popped off all together.
Turned out the two pulleys were off alignment slightly causing it to rub. Replaced the Alternator Pulley and all we well.

Check for perfectly straight alignment with a sharp straight edge against the side sides of the pulleys.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My mom's Kia Spectra had a "V" belt for the alternator and it kept squealing and then one winter it popped off all together.
Turned out the two pulleys were off alignment slightly causing it to rub. Replaced the Alternator Pulley and all we well.

Check for perfectly straight alignment with a sharp straight edge against the side sides of the pulleys.

sounds like my old sonata,at one point the generator belt was down to what looked like a frayed hairy rubberband.

one shop replaced both belts 3 times in 6mos, cuz they kept squealing. they finally gave up on the parts store belts, and ordered the OE part from the dealer. it never squealed again.

Last time I checked the pully on the crank is held on by a set screw. Is it pressed on also?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Last time I checked the pully on the crank is held on by a set screw. Is it pressed on also?

If not, it will likely act as if it's pressed on now. Depending on the age of the mower and amount of corrosion, they can be a real pain to remove short of cutting them off with a grinder.

Well then I'll throw a new belt on and sell it. Just wondering how difficult it would be since I already have the parts I bought a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back