GM 4L60E Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
4L60E in the Envoy that recently started whining, perhaps more like a fuel pump if I were to describe it. It doesn't happen when you first fire up in the morning, but when the transmission fluid warms up a bit, a tad over 100 F, and you lightly hit the gas taking off from a standstill, you hear the whine right away. You hear it under light acceleration from a standstill, as well as in in park or neutral. From a standstill, you can hear the whine going up to 2,500 rpm, after which it seems to disappear. As it whines in P or N, the whine disappears right away if you slap it in reverse or any other forward gear.

The unit has 115,000 miles on it. It's had very regular fluid (Dexron-VI with LubeGard) and filter (ACDelco TF-289) changes - a drain and refill every 6,250 miles and a filter replacement/pan drop every 25,000 miles. I have a Derale cooling pan, which an extra 2 quart capacity and drain plug. The reason I use a TF-289 shallow pan filter and not the 24208576 deep pan filter is because this particular pan has big cooling tubes, and you can't bolt the pan back on with the deep pan filter. The fluid is always a nice cherry red, the magnet in the pan and the magnetic drain plug are always clean.

Thinking it was the torque converter, which I did have some vibration issues with, I went ahead and replaced it. It's a lot smoother now and zero vibration issues, but it didn't resolve the whining problem. I also checked all exhaust shields, etc. whilst I was in there, just in case anything was loose and would happen to rattle - everything there is tight. Any input from GM transmissions gurus would be much appreciated - thank you!

Sometimes an auto transmission will just whine, but I would take it to a ** reputable ** auto transmission shop for an inspection, bands might need alignment / tightening. The thing about auto transmissions is they are extremely robust, usually outlasting the engine (especially GM transmissions) but if there is an issue, it ** will ** get worse and it ** will ** cost more later versus right now.

Whining usually means pump is bad. They can whine for years and never quit. We found the 4L60E to either be real good for 200k miles or it blows up young...

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Sometimes an auto transmission will just whine, but I would take it to a ** reputable ** auto transmission shop for an inspection, bands might need alignment / tightening. The thing about auto transmissions is they are extremely robust, usually outlasting the engine (especially GM transmissions) but if there is an issue, it ** will ** get worse and it ** will ** cost more later versus right now.
The 4L60E is not exactly robust-and the heavier the vehicle it's in, and especially any towing, rebuilds come sooner than later. My concern for the OP is whining tends to be gears or other hard parts-might end up being expensive, a rebuilt replacement might end up less.

Thanks for the input. This truck has never towed a thing in its life, and with the very regular service intervals this unit has seen, I would have thought it would be a rather long time before anything needed attention in the transmission.

I am taking it to my transmission guy later on today - was just curious to see if anyone had any input before hand. I'm thinking more the planetary, since the pitch of the whine doesn't change with RPM, but I could be wrong. That said, if a rebuild is required, then be it. Will just bullet proof it like I did my torque converter, so I don't need to go in there again for a really long time vs. getting a reman. Did it with my 4R70W, will do it again with the 4L60E.

Given how long this transmission has been around, you would think it would be a very robust unit by now.
smile.gif

I had a 1999 GMC Sierra with this transmission. All maintenance done similar to how you described. Transmission failed twice, the last of which I sold the truck at 228,000 miles. Great truck except the transmission issues. Seems they last about 110K and I didn't even really use it to tow or haul anything other than the occasional plywood from the big box store. Not So robust to me. ironically, At 220K, The water Pump Went out. Put a new One in, new belt, Etc. Then 8K later Tranny goes.

Last edited:
"Given how long this transmission has been around, you would think it would be a very robust unit by now."

Yup! exactly, GMs could be robust, but aren't, dealers need the work and GM bean counters and wannabe stars in the
supply chain like making things cheap! SAD!

I have a 98 chevy K1500 with this transmission and mine whines too and has for awhile. Mine has 135,000 miles on it and it's had regular tranny fluid changes. Mine has not towed much at all and nothing really heavy. I'm just going to drive it until it goes out.

I have a friend with the same truck that I do and he has right around 400,000 miles on the original transmission.

Wayne

BIL did 400k miles with regular fluid changes BUT did not tow trailer = it had tow package with cooler +++

Just an update, turns out the noise I am hearing is not from the transmission. Certainly a relief.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

"Given how long this transmission has been around, you would think it would be a very robust unit by now."

Yup! exactly, GMs could be robust, but aren't, dealers need the work and GM bean counters and wannabe stars in the
supply chain like making things cheap! SAD!

Try to keep your hate for 4T65E's isolated to that series of transmission, No need to drag every GM transmission through the mud.
For every pampered 4L60E that goes down at 120K.....There are 50+ that go 250,000 miles towing trailers fairly often.

The weaknesses the 4L60E does have in it's later variants ('01-'12) are part of the core design that could not be changed without a complete clean sheet revamp....

The 3/4 Clutch lacks capacity, No TRUE fix for this, You can add frictions all day long....The Apply Piston is to small & no room available to make it larger.

The Forward Sprag is to small, Again.....No room.

Reaction Sun Shell breakage, This is actually rare in the 2001 & up units...Or at least at low mileage.

Torrington Bearing failures, Components overruning in overdrive/Broken down ATF.

In the end....They last just as long as competing units, Ford 4R70W & Dodge 46RE.

Good info, clinebarger. I always wondered if the packaging of the 4l60e may be a contributing factor to some of its perceived weaknesses.

Last edited:
I'll take Clinebargers input any day cause it stacks up well with personal and company trucks in my inner circle - Need more get a 2500/3500 - and with GM even the gasser is stout
Once heard from a transmission chain owner who put the 4L60e in the top 5 of all -
We don't often get see service records on those that fail - but shop professional's can spot no service vehicles in a heartbeat
This OEM trend for 100k-150k fluids in the Houston market is fueled by the endless parade I witness daily on the way to Mexico

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
What is it from then? Inquiring minds want to know!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Power steering pump?

Originally Posted By: another Todd
The wife in the next seat over?

Fuel pump, which really ticked me off. At 103,125 miles, I replaced the factory unit with a GM Original Equipment part (P/N 19168752) because it started whining very loudly. The replacement has ~12,000 miles on it and now it's making this noise. $300 well spent? I think not.

I'm looking at Walbro - they have a direct replacement (TU454) and pump only universal replacement (450LPH). Might opt for pump only, considering the entire assembly with the sending unit was replaced recently. What's scary though is that the pump assembly with the sending unit looks strikingly similar to the GM Original Equipment part I bought - I hope Walbro is not GM's supplier. Funny I had to look up a 2005 Buick Rainier, since they don't have the Trailblazer or Envoy in their Vehicle Lookup.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
What is it from then? Inquiring minds want to know!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Power steering pump?

Originally Posted By: another Todd
The wife in the next seat over?

Fuel pump, which really ticked me off. At 103,125 miles, I replaced the factory unit with a GM Original Equipment part (P/N 19168752) because it started whining very loudly. The replacement has ~12,000 miles on it and now it's making this noise. $300 well spent? I think not.

I'm looking at Walbro - they have a direct replacement (TU454) and pump only universal replacement (450LPH). Might opt for pump only, considering the entire assembly with the sending unit was replaced recently. What's scary though is that the pump assembly with the sending unit looks strikingly similar to the GM Original Equipment part I bought - I hope Walbro is not GM's supplier. Funny I had to look up a 2005 Buick Rainier, since they don't have the Trailblazer or Envoy in their Vehicle Lookup.
I would take a failing fuel pump any day before a failing tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back