hour meter clicking shortly after shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an hour meter on my boat that's the original one and is 25 years old. One thing I've noticed is it seems like it continues to log time for like 5-10 seconds or so after I turn the key off. I can hear it clicking, which I'm assuming it's working when it does that, but why does it continue running shortly after I turn the key off? Unless it is stopped and just does that normally since 5-10 seconds isn't enough time to see if it's actually moving.

Is there still a supply of electricity flowing like when you turn off your computer speakers and a couple seconds later it makes a slight pop.

Very normal if is an hourmeter just like old odometers with individual numbers on a wheel. Many used a small motor that wound up a spring clutch and that will take a second or two to wind down after power is removed. Some newer analog hourmeters had a capacitor before the motor to buffer inrush, this also takes a second or two to discharge. The newer LCD display models simply stop when power is lost.

On older Hour meters, 12V is used cycle a solenoid that partially winds a spring,
the timing is a clock mechanism, so it's just running out the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back