06 TSX - Under VC - 223k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned this car since 10k miles. Steady diet of synthetics (usually SOPUS products, but no bias), mostly 5w30, with some xW40s here and there - running Edge 0w40 this fill. OCIs dictated by the dashboard. Usually 6-7k miles. Fram Ultra swapped every other oil change.

It's my daily driver. Six speed manual. Rural daily commutes of either 110 or 50 mile round trips (two desks...). About 15-20k per year.

Extremely clean. Wonder about the cam lobes and how good they are. I'm not saying they are bad but I am curious as to what other members will say about them.
You have done a very good job taking very good care of this vehicle.

I believe Honda and Acura engines rev high and aren't known for valve float issues. Valve spring pressure is probably fairly stiff to control high rpm valve float. Over time something has to wear and ultimately, the camshaft is the sacrificial lamb.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Looks great, is this the 2.0 - K20 engine ?

2.4L - K24A2

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, K24A2 with a chain...which is why the VC was off.

Kind of an embarrassing maintenance snafu on my part. I had read where the chain tensioners on these engines can fail causing the engine to jump time and eat itself, so as a BITOG kind of guy I ordered a new one to throw in as preventative (over-)maintenance. I replaced it Sunday, using the FSM as my guide. Followed it to a T, but apparently something went awry during the procedure as when I went to start it up - it wouldn't. Darn.

Pulled the VC, set it to TDC and sure enough, the intake cam rotated 3 teeth beyond TDC. This was Sunday, so I immediately started tearing it down, but my impact was unable to remove the crank bolt (first one it's failed at doing so), so I ordered the Lisle super socket overnight from Amazon, which worked. I got it re-timed (with the new tensioner!) and checked the valves for leakage. All was good, so I put it back together and gave the Permatex Ultra Grey I used on the timing cover 24 hours to cure. Took it out last night for a test drive and all is right in the world again.

Don't let your kids grow up to be like me. Leave well enough alone sometimes.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Looks real good. Thanks for the pics

Very welcome. I enjoy other people's pics, so I like to return the favor when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back