2002 Yukon AC slugging

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 2002 Yukon 5.3L with rear air. Horrible noise upon acceleration with AC on. Tensioner is jumping up and down, and according to GM TSB #03-01-38-019A, it is caused by the compressor slugging. The compressor is very low on the engine and apparently liquid refrigerant and oil can pool in the compressor causing it to slug (hydraulic binding). I already replaced the belt and tensioner.

Is there any way to get it out of this condition without replacing the compressor like TSB says? What if I idle it for a long time, as it doesn't seem to do it at idle. Would that eventually pump the accumulated fluids out? Heat up the compressor?

No. The compressor is damaged internally and must be replaced. It will blow up and contaminate the whole system soon if you keep driving it. This is so common that I keep these parts in stock.

Four Seasons/Comfort Temp sells a DeSlugger kit for Chrysler minivans and a few other vehicles.It pulses the coil for a few minutes when the AC is turned on,to prevent compressor explosions/case splitting.

Four Seasons makes a deslugging module that plugs into the A/C clutch magnet that pulses the engagement to slowly push oil out of the compressor before it fully engages.

http://www.4s.com/en/marketing/psp-solutions/the-deslugger/

I have one installed in my 02 Silverado since the truck barely gets used and as a preventative action to prevent slugging if it ever happens. A/C components are all original w/ 150,000mi on it so I gonna make it last.

Last edited:
The GM cars I have worked on in the last few years , were older cars .

They had an accumulator thwr received the refrigerant / oil from the evaporator coil . Best I remember , the outlet was up high enough that the compressor pulled vapor off the " top " .

Surplus oil / refrigerant was held in the accumulator in " reserve " .

Originally Posted By: another Todd
So how do I prevent this in the future?
move the compressor to the top
smile.gif
...the oil and refrigerant settles in the compressor when its not running. When you turn the ac on it tries to compress the liquid and bang.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
This is the first I have heard of this "slugging". My 2004 Silverado a/c never gave any problems. Any specific models this problem occurs in?

Mostly in Tahoes and Suburbans with rear A/C.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
This is the first I have heard of this "slugging". My 2004 Silverado a/c never gave any problems. Any specific models this problem occurs in?

Mostly in Tahoes and Suburbans with rear A/C.
Ah ok, that explains it then, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Where is the accumulator located ? Higher or lower than the compressor ?

Best of luck , :)
higher...much higher

OK , best I remember the last Chevy Lumina sedan we had was a 3.1l V-6 , 1996 model . The A/C compressor was mounted down low on the engine .

Accumulator up high . Never had this problem , that I know of .

I am wondering if the truck in question is over charged with oil , or refrigerant of both ? Fan not blowing enough air and too much liquid refrigerant returning ? Something wrong with the expansion device & the evaporator coil being flooded ?

Tahoes and Suburbans with rear A/C ?

Suspect a lot of piping and " devices " mounted really low . Wonder if one area is especially pow & acting as a " P-Trap " .

all 4.8,5.3 and 6.0 gm trucks with the bottom mounted compressor. The ones with rear ac are very prone to it.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Would the deslugger correct my current problem, or is the damage done. AC works at idle fine, it's only when increasing RPM that the problem occurs.
compressor is junk. Replace it.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Are Escalades with the 6.2 affected by this? I have a 2011 Escalade 6.2 with rear AC.

http://www.4s.com/en/marketing/psp-solutions/the-deslugger/

If you watch the video it shows the installation on a GMC Yukon. Compressor/evaporator setup are the same between Suburban/Yukon/Escalade models they are just more prone to slugging because of the rear A/C components where it needs more oil than front A/C only systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back