grease monkey-my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Grease Monkey near me that will change my oil and filter that I bring in for $35.00 labor.
I'm passed 70 years old and I just don't want to do it anymore.
So $20.00 for Syn oil and $8.00 for a good filter plus $35.00 to get it done while I stay clean and drink coffee.
$63 and I know what I'm getting.
Wife's car once a year, my car twice a year.
Does this make sense?

That absolutely makes sense. The most important part is you trust this individual to do good work.

It would be nice if you had family to do it for you for free.
I do that all the time and supply the oil and filter...

Originally Posted By: marine65
There is a Grease Monkey near me that will change my oil and filter that I bring in for $35.00 labor.
I'm passed 70 years old and I just don't want to do it anymore.
So $20.00 for Syn oil and $8.00 for a good filter plus $35.00 to get it done while I stay clean and drink coffee.
$63 and I know what I'm getting.
Wife's car once a year, my car twice a year.
Does this make sense?

Well you are not busy anymore you ought to come up and we could go to the gym and workout!

Last edited:
If you lived near me, I'd be happy to change it for you for $10-$15 labor. And it would get done just like it were my car, probably even more scrutiny.

This must be one of the best grease monkeys out there. Most lubes that I've been to will do it for $19-$29 and they supply the oil and filter. When I used to bring in my own synthetic oil and filter they charge me $10-$15 labor to do the OCI. I think you can find a better deal than $35 labor...unless the guy is excellent and is spending time inspecting the under side of your car for other potential issues. That's worth an extra $20 twice per year if they know what to look for.

Concept is good but the labor amount seems a bit up there. Unless he's carefully inspecting the car pretty good and doing some other things. Maybe find someone else for $15-20 labor.

Yeah, if the OP were in my area, I'd tell him to bring it by and I'd do the job for a ten spot just as a me having to get dirty fee. Bring a six of something decent but not uber expensive as well, which we'd share.
Neither of your cars would present any real challenges and I'd have no problems helping a brother out during good weather.
Dead of winter?
Umm, no.

The labor is TOO high. A conventional change at many places is $25 to $29, and that includes the conventional oil and jobber filter. Find a transmission shop in your area. I used one before and they charged $10 labor and were very good, when I lived in an apartment. Stay away from the chain stores.

And let me give you a hint. The best way to negotiate the price, is to go in and ask what their cheap conventional oil change cost. Once they give you the price, you can then say, " since you have to supply the oil and filter, I'm guessing the labor cost is what $10? If I supply the oil/filter, will you still charge me the same labor cost?" If you go in asking what their labor charge is, be prepared for a higher quote.

The labor cost should be AT LEAST $10 cheaper than their regular conventional oil change.

Originally Posted By: marine65
Does this make sense?

If the guy has a good reputation and is trustworthy to do the job, then it is worth the premium.

There is guy local to me that runs a small two bay repair shop and while changing oil is not his main gig, he is worth the premium for labor to know it is done right over any quickie chain lube place.

Occasionally we have taken in my moms vehicle and bring in our own oil and filter
Pepboys charges $18 for oil change if you bring in your own supplies.

Maybe see if he can do a drain and fill on the trans as well. I'd prob give him $40-50 total in labor then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back