2010 Mini Cooper valvetrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
3 day weekend is here and the neighbors Mini Cooper is in the garage for misfire codes, EVAP codes and other emissions codes. First was to fix the misfiring issue. But upon pulling the ignition coils was oil pooling in the spark plug wells so new valve cover gaskets were in order. At the end of the day the low speed misfiring was gone and this buggah run smooth now.

89,990mi. For some reason this car is a blast to drive so I might "test drive" it to 90,000mi
BC7PH7y.jpg

I do not know the history of this engine but looks like it was well fed. Typical staining on the rear of the head since the PCV pulls blowby by the rear part of the valve cover/head.
EYtMhP8.jpg

Intake cam:
1E7GfQQ.jpg

Exhaust cam:
za1p23O.jpg

Timing chain:
FV0k5tH.jpg

Maybe it is camera angle, but look at the sprockets on the cam, especially the exhaust camshaft. They look horribly worn. Like almost ready to jump time worn.

Rod

Maybe it is camera angle, but look at the sprockets on the cam, especially the exhaust camshaft. They look horribly worn. Like almost ready to jump time worn.

Rod

I had a '10 Non-turbo Mini Cooper, it was a blast to drive. Sold it with over 110k on it, and it ran great. Only trouble I ever had with the car was around 88k, it had a leaking thermostat housing. It drank a quart of oil every 2k, but all in all, one of my favorite I've ever owned.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr

Rod

No, they don't.

All is well.

I see lint, were these parts toweled off? Usually when I take the valve covers off there's a lot more film than this. It would be disconcerting if this wasn't toweled off, was it sitting for weeks or something? Looks almost totally dry except for some pooling.

Quote:
They look fine to me, not all cam sprockets or phasers have long teeth.

Cool pictures. What's the spring-gizmos behind the intake cam? Some sort of variable lift device? I see cam phasers for variable timing.

Some of the cam lobes appear to be worn with steps on the outer edges of the lobes. Is this accurate or just the angle of the photo?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Some of the cam lobes appear to be worn with steps on the outer edges of the lobes. Is this accurate or just the angle of the photo?

Cam lobes felt smooth across the camshaft when I rubbed it with my finger.

Car is complete with new plugs, O2 sensor and DTML solenoid installed. Took it on a test drive to complete system readiness monitors and check for pending codes. EVAP monitor is two trip to complete test so tomorrow will be the final verdict whether all readiness monitors shows complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back