Crank Pulley Seating Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a set of underdrive pulleys on my 2003 Town Car this weekend.

Why am I modding a Town Car? I don't know either. It's too slow and I just want it to be a bit less slow lol.

Anywho, in true BITOG fashion, I've been a bit A-R after installing the crank pulley as to whether it's fully seated. I did the proper torque sequence (66ft lbs, loosen, then 37ft lbs + 90*) but it almost looks as if the crank pulley sits out just a bit further than the original balancer did.

Maybe it's just in my head and I'm being way too obsessed over this, but I measured the gap with feeler gauges between the back of the pulley and the timing cover and I'm getting about 2.5MM. The belt tracks straight and doesn't slip or squeal, but I swear, the old balancer was just a little bit closer to the timing cover than this.

Again, maybe it's in my head, but if anyone here has a set of feeler gauges and a 2V Ford Modular, wanna go measure the gap between your timing cover and balancer for me? LOL

The distance to the timing cover means nothing - you've used a different piece. It's dimensions probably aren't the same, so you'd be comparing apples to oranges.

If the portion the belt rides on is aligned with the rest of the accessory drive, it's correct. You can easily see this by eye.

You don't wait it too close to the timing cover as it will cut a groove in it. There was a whole batch of Aluminator engines where the crank pulley would self clearance on the timing cover due to crank thrust not being set properly during assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back