Water pump recommendations. GM 4.3 Vortec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my LIM gaskets on the Blazer a few weeks ago. My water pump is now leaking between the cast housing and steel heater hose pipe. The pump itself does not leak so I tried some waterproof JB Weld. I am not one for "hillbilly" fixes, but I figured it was worth a shot. Now, it appears to be leaking faster.

Without a doubt, I know the ~$150 OE pump is the best option. Just curious if anyone has had any good experiences with the not as costly aftermarket options. Thanks in advance folks.

I'd prefer to order from Rock Auto, but as always, shoot me some suggestions.
Rock Auto: Chevrolet- blazer- 4.3V6- cooling system- water pumps

I have run new aftermarket pumps on my GM stuff to include an 89 GMC 1 ton, 1991 S-10 Blazer, 1998 Buick Regal GS and the Trans Am has one to, as I dropped the original during the cam swap and broke it.

For that think a good new after market one will be fine.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I have run new aftermarket pumps on my GM stuff to include an 89 GMC 1 ton, 1991 S-10 Blazer, 1998 Buick Regal GS and the Trans Am has one to, as I dropped the original during the cam swap and broke it.

For that think a good new after market one will be fine.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The Gates and AC Delco professional seem like the only good choices as I don't recognize the other brands. They are fractions cheaper than the OE unit too.

I take that back. I've heard of A1 Car-done, but I'd prefer to stay away.

No studs included on none of those pumps that I could see. I always replace them if they are old. I also replace the nuts too because they can be rusty or buggered up. Just bought an Asin pump for my Toyota pickup, and the studs were pre-installed.

Personally, I usually buy Gates if available, and Gates usually come with new studs. The first GMB I used on my Volvo lasted 12 years, and the pump was still working fine. The rubber seals that came with the kit turned to dust, and that caused the leak. New GMB has been on there for over a year, and it's doing just fine.

I have also had good luck with new aftermarket replacement pumps for GM engines. I'm not a huge fan of anything Airtex which I believe is what the Gates is. I've had the best luck with GMB pumps which are available through several retailers including Summit, Advance Auto, Amazon etc. Good luck on your repair.

I typically use the pumps from O'Reilly- they're now part of the Murry line. Many times the label will state that it's assembled in the U.S.A. from domestic and foreign parts. In fact I just bought one for a 350 swap on a truck I'm doing now that said that. Dont think ive ever had a warranty issue with one.

I'm usually a Rock Auto guy but I replaced my perfectly fine stock water pump with Autozone duralast when I had to replace my fan clutch on my Trailblazer. The first one lasted 65k miles. The free replacement lasted 69k miles. So now I'm on my third (free replacement). If you are willing to do the work every 65k or so, it's an option. If I had to do it over again, I'm not sure I would have went with the Duralast.
I just wanted to give you my real-life data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1

Personally, I usually buy Gates if available

I have yet to buy a Gates water pump where it was not made in China. Am I just buying them for the wrong applications?

Remember my dad using ACdelco on a 99' 1500 silverado.
Voretc motor, I'm pretty sure.

Lasted another 60,000ish miles before he sold it and don't know anything from there.

Anyways just google the part or amazon it and you'll see around the price they go far.
Finally check eBay, as they are a few buck cheaper than Amazon.

I will say that a brand named GHB GMT GMB something along those lines only lasted about 40,000 miles on a 2010 1500 ram.
Compared to an ACdelco one side by side, it was quite poorly made.

LOL, @ GHB.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back