Under valve cover pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a good deal on an 06 Escalade EXT, has 163,xxx miles on it, but one owner and Carfax shows maintenance was completed at a couple of different GM dealerships. It drove nice, everything works, except a small radiator leak. I brought it home and while removing the engine covers, air filter housing, and rad, I could see that it would be best to replace the rad hoses, serp and accessory belts, remove and clean the throttle body, etc... and the engine area was filthy. While cleaning it, I saw that the valve covers may have had a small leak due to build up around it so I decided to replace the gaskets. Here are the pics. No sludge or build it. Just heavy varnish. I assume the GM dealers used conventional oil. I just wiped up the under side of the valve covers with a Berrymans soaked rag which did a pretty good job at cleaning most of the varnish, replaced with Felpro gasket kit and reinstalled the covers.

Looks good. A nice tan.
wink.gif

What oil do you plan to run moving forward?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Was the engine ever overheated?

Based on my discussions w the prior owner and the maint records, I don't think it was, but truly I don't know.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Looks good. A nice tan.
wink.gif

What oil do you plan to run moving forward?

Thanks, broh. I have a bunch of Super S synthetic blend 5&10w30 in my stash, so that is what I will be using for now.

Nice golden color of oil dyes and a bit of varnish.

If there are no ticks or other engine noises, just use a good oil from this day forward within a severe service interval for the oil/filter changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Can you visibly see the coolant leak or just suspect an external leak. If you can't see it it is time for intake gaskets.

He did say radiator leak not coolant leak.

It's not an Escalade without proof pics!! 4dr, ESV, EXT?

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Can you visibly see the coolant leak or just suspect an external leak. If you can't see it it is time for intake gaskets.

This is an LS... it has a dry intake manifold.

Finding a coolant leak at the intake gasket would be like trying to order a new radiator for a Beetle: Search all you want, but you won't find one.

It's an EXT. I'll post pics of it once I'm done with all the new to me car maintenance as its inoperable in my garage waiting for parts to be delivered. With regards to the leak, it was the radiator that was leaking, saw and heard it coming from a small crack near the connection to the upper rad hose. And Mr. HP is correct, dry intake so now plastic manifold gaskets issues like I had to fix on my old S10.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Looks fine, I wouldn't loose any sleep over that. Run spec'd oil and intervals and call it a day!

+1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back