Temp gauge mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way to mod my temp sensor and or change its location or something to make it read hot if it leaks out all of its coolant? I almost blew the engine in my 05 Civic again. The new Airtex water pump blew it's seal. I only knew it was hot because it was pinging when I was on the gas. I thought it was the exhaust rattling and kept driving until the oil pressure light came on about 20 minutes later. I immediately pulled over. Blew the head gasket but did not warp or crack anything. Doing great with a new head gasket. Any way I could have prevented this?

Temp sensors do not read correctly if they are not submerged in water/coolant, So if you lose all the coolant....It will not register hot.

You can usually smell the antifreeze when you lose a large amount of coolant. Hopefully this will be lesson for you, Odd noises/smells/steam means pull over now!

Trolling.gif

gee that is a pretty big story for one paragraph.. did it melt the paint on the hood like the last one...

NOT believing this new fantasy of yours

Pics?

Receipt for parts.. anything?

Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Temp sensors do not read correctly if they are not submerged in water/coolant, So if you lose all the coolant....It will not register hot.

You can usually smell the antifreeze when you lose a large amount of coolant. Hopefully this will be lesson for you, Odd noises/smells/steam means pull over now!
If I pulled over every time I heard a rattle, I would be on the side of the road 99 percent of the time! I knew I had an exhaust hanger that was hanging on by a strand of rubber. I figured that the hanger just failed. I did not smell or feel anything, so I figured it was just the exhaust rattling. Would oil temp be higher if I had a gauge?

Install a coolant level sensor. [No I don't know how, but I know one of my prior cars had one.]

Do you have some sort of OBDII scanner which can read real-time the actual engine temperature? I'd think it'd rise abnormally first--gauges are notorious for being slow to respond and/or having deadzones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back