Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I also have a scanguage in all of my vehicles. Yesterday as I was heading home, I was at a stop light and noticed that my radiator temp was at 204 degrees instead of the usual 195-197. When I got on the freeway, my temp dropped back to normal. I noticed that while I was moving at a good rate, my temps stayed normal, but a soon as I slowed down to stopped, that is when my temps would move above normal. I did make it hope, with my heater basting. When I got home, I checked my fluid levels and all was normal

I'm figuring the issue is probably with a fan not kicking over. Any thoughts?

204*F isn't overheating. Warmer than it should be, but potentially damaging overheating is going to be somewhere past 225*F in most any modern car.

It could be a fan. Have you watched the fan at idle when up to operating temp?

^ What he said. I wouldn't be concerned about 204. 215-220+ is getting warm.

check to see if your fans are drawing any current
204 205 is not to bad , my Buick fans used to to kick in at 224 F until I had my tune guy reset the fan controller to 195

Anything south of 220* is no cause for concern. Between 220* and 230*, you'd better start paying attention. By 240* you're in trouble.

Originally Posted By: Rand
fans dont even come on until at least 205 unless you have A/C on.

They do it on purpose, it's part of the EPA fuel economy cycle. This is why factory gauges are deadened-- you used to be able to see the normal changes in temp from climbing a hill. They want you to get hotter and thermally efficient for the 90ish seconds you idle in the specifically defined cycle.

Mid 90's saturn gauges were good for going 7/8 of the way to the red zone before the electric fan kicked on.

You should run the AC just to check the fan and that it works, but then run without while watching the scan gauge to reassure yourself that there is a set temp for the fan, and it's above 204. My saturn was 221.
wink.gif

But what about what is normal and now with it 7 degrees hotter all of a sudden? Had the same issue with my 08 civic and it was a fan.

My E430 never had engine temp above 95-98C even in mostly stop and little go traffic. But my S2000 did excess 205-206F occasionally in stop and go traffic, but the temperature dropped to mid 180F as soon as traffic resumed normal speed.

7° hotter than what you saw last week.....

Fan not coming on,

water pump degraded and not pumping enough,

Radiator has a flow restriction/buildup,

or it's just warmer outside. IMO keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Hi:
I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I also have a scanguage in all of my vehicles. Yesterday as I was heading home, I was at a stop light and noticed that my radiator temp was at 204 degrees instead of the usual 195-197. When I got on the freeway, my temp dropped back to normal. I noticed that while I was moving at a good rate, my temps stayed normal, but a soon as I slowed down to stopped, that is when my temps would move above normal. I did make it hope, with my heater basting. When I got home, I checked my fluid levels and all was normal

I'm figuring the issue is probably with a fan not kicking over. Any thoughts?

Yes, remove the gauge and you will be a safer driver!

Recent research has shown that cars with fewer gauges and play things (Navi or Internet boxes) have less accidents. Top of the list are cell phones, with the Navi second.

I don't even like warning lights, as they should fit audio alerts, with a bell for get off the road and switch off warnings (Overheat or low oil pressure) and a less obtrusive chime for things like brake light failure etc.

The difference between 197 and 204 is not enough to get concerned about, but if it does start increasing then the thermostat might be forked, as they don't last forever. If you change the water pump every cam belt service and use something sensible, a water pump failure will be very unlikely. Incorrect bleeding of the cooling system is more likely than pump trouble, so if in doubt read the instructions.

Last edited:
With a 1.4 bar (20 psi) pressure cap and a coolant mix in there, I'm not fussed until I go at least 240°F. After that I'll slow down though, but the red is still 20°F off.

But so far I've never seen the temp even hit 200°F

Find out at what temp the fans are supposed to come on.
My fans come on at 216F and then go to high speed at 226F.
With A/C on, they're on all the time.

Fans on my Roadmaster don't even try to intervene until almost 230 degrees.

7 degrees hotter? A small change in weather alone can do that. Heck, your sending unit may be to blame.

On top of what everyone else said, make sure your radiator and/condenser are not all clogged up with crud restricting airflow and hence hampering their ability to transfer heat. In my days of tinkering I have seen some dirty rads and condensers that benefited from cleaning out with a hose.

In a modern engine 204F is not overheating. IIRC my fans are programmed to come on at 216F. I'd say over 220F is hot 240 is overheating.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
On top of what everyone else said, make sure your radiator and/condenser are not all clogged up with crud restricting airflow and hence hampering their ability to transfer heat. In my days of tinkering I have seen some dirty rads and condensers that benefited from cleaning out with a hose.

Agree. I found so much of something resembling drier lint clogging up my radiator's fins. Took an hour with a compressor to clear out. In short, don't overlook the simple things.

Going from 195-ish at speed to 204 at idle in traffic is a pretty normal variance. With no airflow over the radiator when stopped, the coolant temp will naturally rise until it triggers the fan. As long as your fan kicks on and the temp doesn't continue to rise, you'll be fine. As others have said, 220-240 is the range for concern.

OP:-

Completely normal. Car would run hotter in the hotter external temperature. Fans don't usually come on at 205F.

Quote:
Yes, remove the gauge and you will be a safer driver!

+100!!

Quote:
My E430 never had engine temp above 95-98C even in mostly stop and little go traffic. But my S2000 did excess 205-206F

I never thought I would get to say this to you but do you know that 98C translates in to 208F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back