Petro-Canada Duron HDEO?

This stuff looks pretty robust on paper!

Any anecdotal experience with the Duron lineup (PDS below)? Who might stock the lineup in British Columbia, particularly the UHP E6 blends?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 26
www.castlefuels.ca

Try these guys, maybe they can help you.

Their E6 products are quite similar to the old CI-4+ HDEOs. With ULSD, I don't feel I have the need for a TBN of 13.
MTU cat 3.1 for the BC ferries maybe.
I've done UOAs on Duron SAE 30 & 40 in my LML. P 1300, Zn 1430. Fe after 15,000 kms 7 ppm with the 40.

We had been just talking about Duron. Looks great on paper and appeared to work great in my ISB6.7.

I run the shp 10w30 year round up here on the prairies. I suppose one point of data to show its robustness, on my first sample, 24,000km, I had 2.87% fuel and the viscosity dropped from 12 to 11.47cSt. With some hard use and a decent shot of fuel, it barely sheared.

My second sample had 100 idle hours, a pile of cold starts and lots of short winter trips. While fuel was not traceable , viscosity was 11.57cSt.

Edit: after 24k the additive package was barely even used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrianF
We had been just talking about Duron. Looks great on paper and appeared to work great in my ISB6.7.

I run the shp 10w30 year round up here on the prairies. I suppose one point of data to show its robustness, on my first sample, 24,000km, I had 2.87% fuel and the viscosity dropped from 12 to 11.47cSt. With some hard use and a decent shot of fuel, it barely sheared.

My second sample had 100 idle hours, a pile of cold starts and lots of short winter trips. While fuel was not traceable , viscosity was 11.57cSt.

Edit: after 24k the additive package was barely even used.

That's impressive.

We run the 10W-30 synthetic blend in about 200 Volvos. Change out the oil and filters at about 50,000 kms. We have very few oil related problems on the trucks.

I'm using Duron HP 15W-40 across the board, which is their conventional offering at the bottom of the hierarchy. Although none of them are diesel applications, this is a great oil nevertheless, running noticeably quieter than other 15W-40s I've tried with similar cSt at 100°C.

PQIA tested Duron HP 15W-40 in July 2018 and it looks good, with a touch of molybdenum as well.

Interesting that it got acquired again!
Gotta wonder how long the ‘Petro Canada’ name on oil is going to last? Duron isnt nearly as well known a name as the others - Delvac, Rotella..

But not the motor oil manufacturing division. It was sold to Holly Frontier. I imagine they had a marketing agreement.
The story I heard was that Holly Frontier was planning to build a new lube plant near SLC, UT when the PC lube plant in Ontario came up for sale, and that HF deceided to keep the downstream PC branded lubricants.
If you go back in time, you may conclude that PC rose from the ashes of the feeding frenzy on Gulf Canada.

PC did absolutely rise from the ashes of Gulf Canada - the govt bought the retail gas outlets to easily get into the fuel market for the new national oil company.
PC developed their high-quality line of hydro-cracked base oils and finished lubricants after that, using processes started by Gulf - early 1980s Gulf oil cans say ‘hydro treated’ on them, PC built on this.

Back