2014 TDI oil advice

Bought two 2014 TDI cars, one came with a maintenance plan from the VW dealer. That is all fine and good, but it got serviced and got Kendall Euro 5w40, which from my research was an A3/B4 oil. This engine calls for 5W30 low saps oil that meets VW 507 specs. The oil they used meets VW 505 specs which is pretty much the opposite formulation of what it requires. You would think a VW dealer would know better. Do I just let them use this oil in it? I don't think it will hurt the engine but I don't imagine the DPF will be too happy with it. On the other hand, the emissions system has plenty of warranty left and any repairs from it would be on their dime. They told me it meets euro standards so it is fine, I am not sure I agree. Opinions?

Ask the service guy to call his regional VW guy to confirm...on speaker phone with you there. I bet that would make him uncomfortable. Ha

They should use their 507 oil. I think they recently switched to Mobil from Castrol?

Is it Sheehy in Hagerstown or Beyer in Winchester? I had a 2013 Passat TDI that I ordered from Sheehy (when it was Sharrett) that I had Beyer do the first oil change on. I felt Beyer didn't do a good job, so I did them myself from that point forward, even though they would have been free at the dealer.

Last edited:
It is actually Sheehy in Hagerstown. The vehicle was bought new from Sharrett and always serviced there on time. So at this point i'm not sure if it always got that oil or not. I stay away from Beyer, have known people who weren't too pleased with them. Their parts prices are decent on certain things though, like batteries were $70 cheaper than parts stores for OEM. I figured it would make sense to use the maintenance plan since I have it, but not sure I want to end up paying for it in the end when warranties run out and I have to put a DPF in it on my dime. May have to let them do it, then come home and drain and fill with the right stuff. Would give me free oil changes for one of the beaters haha. I just don't think it makes any sense that I would have to do that when the dealer should know what they are doing in the first place.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Bought two 2014 TDI cars, one came with a maintenance plan from the VW dealer. That is all fine and good, but it got serviced and got Kendall Euro 5w40, which from my research was an A3/B4 oil. This engine calls for 5W30 low saps oil that meets VW 507 specs. The oil they used meets VW 505 specs which is pretty much the opposite formulation of what it requires. You would think a VW dealer would know better. Do I just let them use this oil in it? I don't think it will hurt the engine but I don't imagine the DPF will be too happy with it. On the other hand, the emissions system has plenty of warranty left and any repairs from it would be on their dime. They told me it meets euro standards so it is fine, I am not sure I agree. Opinions?

Ideally you should get the proper oil in there. DPF's are not cheap, which the dealership will find some way to weasel their way out of warrantying the repair.

You should call them to arrange to get the proper oil used, the 507.00 oil.

Call them...vw pcmo diesels are all on vw504/507 for almost a decade now...

Cant understand how dealer doesent know that? Murrica!

TDi with DPF MUST have proper 507 very low SAPS oil. Mobil is now the OEM supplier for this. Should be either 0W30 or 5W30 only.

I don' t think the occasional run of a non-507 oil will be detrimental but it wouldn't be something I'd do regularly. I brought my '13 Passat home from the dealer and noticed a window OCI sticker than stated 0W20 was put in. I quickly dumped it and put Rotella t6 in it being that I wasn't up to speed on the 507 VW spec oils. I've since went out and bought the (regretfully) Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 oil with the 507 spec.

I'd call VWOA immediately and tell them this is what the dealer is doing. I'll bet it changes very quickly...
wink.gif

Back