Any experience with the new FA-4 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Detroit DD15 came factory filled with an FA-4 spec oil, but nobody seems to know (or want to disclose) what brand or viscosity. I suspect it's a 5 or 10W-30 since the whole point of FA-4 was to coax fuel economy from a thinner oil with a much higher shear temperature. Unfortunately, any FA-4 oil seems to still be unobtanium on the retail market. I can purchase Rotella T5 Ultra 10W-30 FA-4 in 55 gallon drums @ $26/gal, but that price makes it economically unfeasible (the DD15 takes 45 qts per oil change). The added cost of FA-4 vs the same CK-4 spec Rotella (@ $14.50/gal) will never be recovered in the (theoretical) fuel savings, so I'm sticking to CK-4 for now until it becomes more readily available and the price drops. My question to the community is what, if any experience have you had with any FA-4 spec oil? Brands, viscosity, price and fuel economy?

Have you spoken right to an oil company distributor, or was the drum from a reseller? FA-4 products are available at our NAPA locations, and after exchange, priced about as well per gallon as what you were quoted for a drum!

The dealer didn't know what FA-4 was. Looked at me like I just landed from Mars. Needless to say, I'm not letting them touch my truck. Ever.

As for the distributor, yes, that drum price was for delivery from a distributor in OH to my shop in FL. The cost of FA-4 oil is almost double the cost of CK-4, which, even with a 60k mile interval, is financially unfeasible.

Last edited:
Check the Detroit Lube Manual. You can use CK-4. I can understand how the dealer wouldn't know about FA-4. They deal with so much variances in equipment and they stock only what fleets tend to want. I have class 8 trucks also. The driver alone accounts for 33% of increase or decrease in mpg per many formal studies, more than anything one could glean by using FA-4 over CK-4. Just use the 10w30 CK-4 and enjoy.

UPDATE: Walmart now carries Rotella T5 Ultra 10W-30 FA-4 @ $23/gal. I picked up a gallon and sent a virgin sample out to Blackstone. I'll be posting the results in a new VOA thread once received. The price of CK-4 has gone up a bit, reducing the cost spread between CK-4 & FA-4. I recently did a PM with CK-4, so I won't be running the FA-4 until later this year, which means UOA results won't be seen until early next year (I run 50k-60k OCIs). To be continued...

Originally Posted by SubaJew
The price of CK-4 has gone up a bit, reducing the cost spread between CK-4 & FA-4.

What?
CK-4 in most places has dropped, at least in my neck of the woods.
WM SuperTech is back to below 10.00 a gallon, Delvac has been around 11.
Rural King house brand is on sale often enough at 12.99 for the 2 gallon bottle.
Tractor Supply has 5 gallon pails for 34.99 of CK-4 15w40.

10w30 pails are out there, just not as popular as the 15w.

Do you need a 10w30? If you can run a 15w40, you'll save up front. Up to you to do the math and see if the minute MPG hit costs you in the long run.

I do realize at 45 quarts that's a lot of plastic bottles, but a couple of 5 gallon pails is 40 quarts.

Last edited:
BeanOil: HK 10W30 HDEO is now CK4 rated. No have about 20 gallons of the old CJ4 Stuff
wink.gif

Originally Posted by beanoil
Originally Posted by SubaJew
The price of CK-4 has gone up a bit, reducing the cost spread between CK-4 & FA-4.

What?
CK-4 in most places has dropped, at least in my neck of the woods.
Do you need a 10w30? If you can run a 15w40, you'll save up front. Up to you to do the math and see if the minute MPG hit costs you in the long run.

My local cost for T5 went from $14 to $17/gal (incl tax) with the cheapest being @ Walmart.
Yes, I need xW-30. I have an FA-4 spec DD15 which ALLOWS CK-4. 15W40 is not recommended for use in my engine.
None of the oils you listed are on the DDC approved oil list for my engine under the 93K223, 93K222 or 93K218 spec.
http://ddc.tei-net.com/approvedlistprint-93k223.asp
http://ddc.tei-net.com/approvedlistprint-93k222.asp
http://ddc.tei-net.com/approvedlistprint-93k218.asp
Finally, the only oils I will consider are Rotella T5, Delo 400 ZFA or Delvac XFE, in that order.
I do chase MPGs and have found the difference between 15W-40 and 10W-30 to be cost effective.
The question I have yet to answer is how much more savings will FA-4 provide over CK-4 and whether it's cost effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back