Best 5w40 synthetic for 6.0 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all I am just about to purchase a 6.0 powerstroke but I have a few questions. I've done a ton of research on this engine before I go ahead with the purchase. The truck is bulletproofed and has all the work done to it but I am curious what oil would be best to run. I've put down the options to Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40, Schaeffer's 9000 5w40, Amsoil 5w40, Delvac 1 5w40, Delo 5w40, and Rotella T6. I also heard good things about the Archoil additive as well. I want to put whatever oil will make my truck run the best especially in the cold. I will use the motorcraft OEM oil filters. Thanks for all the help!

Any of those are fine oils. I prefer the amsoil, but the next guy down the list probably won't. To each their own. The biggest difference you will see is with the archoil. Use it. I swear by it. Made cold starting a breeze

You won't find a better oil than Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT. It's about as robust as they come. It's also a great choice for other demanding applications, such as air cooled motorcycles, generators and turbocharged cars.

Rotella T6 is a good oil, but keep in mind it's not as robust as the TDT, and Duramax owners have had some ticking/noise issues with T6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Rotella T6 is a good oil, but keep in mind it's not as robust as the TDT.
Based on?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Duramax owners have had some ticking/noise issues with T6.

He's buying a Powerstroke.

Yep-why would anybody want to get "involved" with that motor (the 6.0)?I like the term "bulletproof" BTW.

Last edited:
Wow. All these recommendations for oil for a 6.0 and most of you wouldn't even know one if you seen one. Just run a Dino HD 10w-30 or 15w-40 oil and change it when you should. There is nothing magical about a syn oil other than price. We have never lost an engine on this farm operation and there has never been a gallon of syn oil been used.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Wow. All these recommendations for oil for a 6.0 and most of you wouldn't even know one if you seen one. Just run a Dino HD 10w-30 or 15w-40 oil and change it when you should. There is nothing magical about a syn oil other than price. We have never lost an engine on this farm operation and there has never been a gallon of syn oil been used.

Dude this BITOG. The most (over) used phrase here is the following; "Just use "insert favorite oil here" with confidence". It doesn't matter if the engineers who know more about the cars than those here spec the oil or not. Don't second guess the shade tree mechanics on BITOG!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jfairchild327
Any of those are fine oils.

Ditto that - - all are good!

Originally Posted By: jfairchild327
The biggest difference you will see is with the Arch-oil. Use it.
I swear by it. Made cold starting a breeze

Seems to be a fair bit of testimonials on this stuff

While I try to be unbiased, I'm not partial to Fords in the first place - just to clarify that. But from my limited experience and some discussion with owners of 6.0's I can't see why anyone would chose one over the alternatives. Unable to run long OCI's, have to be "bulletproofed" just to hold up to what other diesels will do straight out of the box, faulty coolers that have to be subverted to keep antifreeze out of the engine... maybe they're good once you get them lined out, but the list of what it takes to get there is so long.

... but, to answer your question: I think Schaeffer's is probably the best value. I run 7000 10w30 in my 454 and 9000 5w40 in my IDI diesel. I've put it in several engines with the intent of cleaning them up as much as possible and it seemed to accomplish that. Amsoil may be a somewhat better oil but is probably substantially more cost per mile unless you're going to do UOA's and squeez every mile out of it.

Last edited:
Any of those oils will be fine. I've had hundreds of 6.0 in a large fleet and they got whatever oil met Ford specs. It wasn't the oil that took out the trucks, but the faulty coolers (mostly) that did them in.

there are best oils + best for my application + wallet!! IMO RedLine lubricants fall into the BEST application if money is not an issue. most "synthetics" are better but just a higher processed CRUDE oils but ESTER + PAO are synthesised + superior REAL synthetic oils

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Rotella is good stuff

Did T6 ever get the NOACK down cause last I heard it was higher than dino Delo and Delvac that have higher HTHS = million mile motor club … and what. $12/gallon …

By "all the work has been done", I assume this is a used truck/engine ... If so, just about any of those oils will do. But, I'd expand the list slightly
smile.gif

Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) because it has the most robust add pak in Chevrons line-up. It has all the Zn and Ph that Ford wants. It's been my rebuilt engine break-in oil for a year now (2 engines) and it is easily avaiable on Amazon, if not locally available.

I have heard nothing but good about Archoil
smile.gif

First I will comment on "Bullet Proof" 6.0 leakers need head studs cause they will blow head gaskets with stock tuning, put a tune on it, you on barrowed time.

Oil, this is easy...Stick with the big 3, Delo, Rotela, Delvac. Here is the no brainer for you, Right now Mobil has a rebate on 5 gal bucket of Delvac 1 esp 5w40 $60.00 rebate for 1, 5 gallon bucket. Here at my farm store it is $110.00 per 5 gal. You do the math! Why use anything else, there is nothing else that is any better than this oil, equal to it, but not any better. My opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back