Welder/Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 10 years now ive always had hand me down pos trucks, tools, and welders. They became so much of an issue for the other main office to bare, they purchase new welders for their guys and give us "other guys" the junk. Few years ago with alot of heated discussion they finally baught me a new welder. Miller Bobcat 225 with a Kohler engine. It has been ridden hard already for the few years ive owned it and I am the only one who has maintained it so far. First 50hrs "miller" oil/filter. 100hrs car quest oil? And miller filter. Now 200hrs or 400hrs total I changed the oil to Valvoline MaxLife synblend 5w30. The filters were ordered but never showed up so it was oil or nothing cause its going to be used hard this week. Ill change the filter when it arrives. Its running very well on the vml that should get me through the winter months.
The point of this was when i fired the welder up for the first time after the change i could smell a weird burnt oil kinda like a faint burned plastic smell. Its running at the moment and only smells of exhaust now, but why would it have done that with an oil only change? Does it signify an issue? I wanted to put valvoline advanced full syn in it but they ordered it wrong... see a pattern here?
Anyway, havent seen any welder threads so I figured id start one for discussion.

15730549396766091761646976323338.jpg

Not a fan of running thin conventional based oils in small engines. You should at least run synthetic 5W30 in this. As to the burning smell, check the oil to make sure you didnt underfill.

I maintain a few of those. It's real easy to overfill those and they will stink and smoke for a while. We use 15w40 in ours and never have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back