Need a new grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I need a new grease for lubing u-joints, slip yokes, ball joints, tie rod ends...basically everything you lube during a normal maintence routine on your car or truck.
I have been a user of Green Grease for as long as I can remember, but it is getting harder to find at a price I am willing to pay.
I am looking at Lucas extra heavy duty grease, both are synthetic, the Green Grease is 100% water proof and is a farm implement grease, it is also has high dust resistance.
I have had excellent results with this grease.
What do you guys think? Switch to the Lucas and be done or keep hunting around for the Green Grease?

For the ball joints, tie rods and slip yokes a high moly (5%) would be a good choice. I like Schaeffer's 238 but not for U joints or wheel bearings, for those Mobil 1 synthetic is ideal. For CV joints Redline CV-2 is the best I have found. Just one grease doesn't make it.

Where are you shopping?

Autozone usually carries it. If one grease does all its worth paying a little extra. If you use alot look at amazon and buy a bulk pack.

I have no grease fittings in my vehicles. Every 50,000 miles I pop off my ball joints and tie rod ends. I use a needle adapter and squeeze it in between the rubber boot collars and stud on the joint. I pump the joints full of grease and let it go for another 50,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
There are still cars out there with Zerks?
Dood they eazy to add to ball joints. Plus my mower has 6 of them
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
For the ball joints, tie rods and slip yokes a high moly (5%) would be a good choice. I like Schaeffer's 238 but not for U joints or wheel bearings, for those Mobil 1 synthetic is ideal. For CV joints Redline CV-2 is the best I have found. Just one grease doesn't make it.

To follow up on Trav's recommendation:

Ford spec ESA-M1C75-B calls for a moly grease for all their trucks.

advance auto and autozone both sell it. Tractor supply company does(or did) but havent seen it there in awhile.

If you do go to another grease you probably want 2 greases at least (as mentioned above)

a 5% moly type for some applications and a lower moly or moly free type for everything else.

Green Grease is good stuff. I use it in everything except high speed bearings because it has no rating for bearings.

Mystic JT6 Hi-temp is a great general purpose grease and also has very good water resistance, just like green grease.

Lucas marine grease is another lithium complex, multi-purpose grease with decent washout resistance also.

My AutoZone no longer carries it. I have been buying it on Amazon, it is now $10/tube which still is not a bad price.
My Land Cruiser has 6 zerks on the prop shafts and my wifes van has 6 zerks, ball joints and sway bar end links.
Her van only gets serviced once a year, so a good high quality grease that will last is needed, even though she only drives 5k/yr she still drives it daily.
My Land Cruiser gets serviced about 3 times a yr, I wade, take it to the sand dunes, dirt roads, two tracking, deep snow...you get the idea.
So I need one grease to do it all, and like I said, Green Grease has been it.
I will not have more than one grease gun sitting around, I know me, I need one all purpose grease.
If I am doing wheel bearings then I buy it in a tub and I'll buy whatever synthetic grease is on the shelf, usually Mobil 1. But that is not often.

The green tube Mystik JT6 is the most waterproof - many farmers and ranchers use it here - and lots of us use in boat trailer bearings, motor zerks, jack plates etc ...
It is almost clear - and very stable in storage ...

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
What is it that makes Green Grease so good?

Thanks for insight.

It is 100% synthetic, 100% water and washout proof. Resistant to chemicals and salt, does not attract dirt, it is good down to -50*F and up to 550*F.
It does not turn into a liquid when it breaks down like normal grease does.
I have some that had been slung onto my exhaust, it is still there.

http://davidhmorris.com/index.htm

It is great stuff.

Last edited:
K
Originally Posted By: Spike555
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
What is it that makes Green Grease so good?

Thanks for insight.

It is 100% synthetic, 100% water and washout proof. Resistant to chemicals and salt, does not attract dirt, it is good down to -50*F and up to 550*F.
It does not turn into a liquid when it breaks down like normal grease does.
I have some that had been slung onto my exhaust, it is still there.

http://davidhmorris.com/index.htm

It is great stuff.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
There are still cars out there with Zerks?
some of us dont drive new stuff. Everything on my sig has zerks

Right on.

None of my cars have any Zerks.

03 Ranger, 06 GTI, 08 Liberty.

I don't consider them all that new.

Those are new for me. I just acquired a 1993 F-150 with 83K on the odo.

Selling my 01 as it's to new for me
laugh.gif

Going by TSC today, will get some JT6
smile.gif

Last edited:
The green grease used to be referred to as "Emerald C". Now you can find it with polyurea base.
I've always used "Mobil Polyrex EM 103" bearing grease. But it's never a good idea to mix greases.
I would call three dealership service departments and ask them which grease they use and compare answers for consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back