Which Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need recommendations for grease for my needs below, I want to get 1 common grease if possible and just stick it in the gun and forget about it.

1. Chevy duramax frontend grease needs
2. Boat trailer wheel bearing
3. 8000 lb tow behind dual axle camper

I read the recent thread about grease guns, very enlightening indeed, I have a stash of grease guns and grease in my garage, I am going to inventory them today.

Mobil 1 synthetic is a good grease for all these things but ideally I would have a gun with Schaeffer 238 for front end fittings and the Mobil 1 for wheel bearings and U joints.

Exxon Unirex N2 Best all around grease on the planet.Most water proof grease, grease for life in motors, its not EP rated but it can actually be used in that role.

Would now be Mobil grease ? Exxon lubes went away or converted to Mobil lineup post merger

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
You could have a better response if this were in the "grease" subforum. Just sayin'

Yes Sir, I agree, mod pls move thread.

I have been using Schaeffers 274 #2 grease in everything from ball joints to wheel bearings for more than 10 years. My friend does the same thing with Green Grease. He was having issues with his previous everyday grease leaking out of his trailer wheel bearing hubs on long highway trips. After trying Green Grease and found it did not leak out of the hubs on that application, he began to use it on everything and this reduced his maintenance and wear to nil in all his equipment, even his boat trailer bearings and other marine grease fittings.

I believe these are 2 very universal greases. I have another friend who uses Amsoil Racing grease in everything and swears by it, but that is an even more costly option and not as waterproof in my experience. Probably a better option for wheel bearings though.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Mobil 1 synthetic is a good grease for all these things but ideally I would have a gun with Schaeffer 238 for front end fittings and the Mobil 1 for wheel bearings and U joints.

Danke!
Mobil 1
Schaeffer 238

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I like the one in the purple cartridge. It's the only one that doesn't melt in California summers.

Good point, I need to get one of those small rectangular trash baskets to keep the guns in so if they leak it will leak into the can.

So I am guessing the purple in place of Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Mystic JT6 - very waterproof and almost clear color ...

So Mystic JT6 = Mobil 1?

Originally Posted By: Al
Exxon Unirex N2 Best all around grease on the planet.Most water proof grease, grease for life in motors, its not EP rated but it can actually be used in that role.

No way, where can I buy it pls?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
There is no 1 grease for all applications. IMO.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't say that,

Lol, 1 would be ideal but 2 is fine.

Mystik JT6 (green tube) is a muti-purpose - lots of farmers/ranchers here use on implements and pumps - and for the boat trailer on the weekend (mainly what I use it for) ...

Thanks guys,
I bought a tube of 238 (amazon) and mobil 1 (oreillys with my battery deposit credit).

No to dig up my grease guns and see which one will work.

Stockrex, Hows the new grease working out for you? Imo, you should be seeing some pretty satisfactory results from the Schaffer? Have you tried any of the Dallas/ fort worth area refineries? These threads only reach their full potential when we get to see the and results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back