TES-295 Mobil Delvac 1 ATF

Does anyone know where to buy this stuff in the Chicago area. I know AV lube sells it, but their price seems real high...

Thanks,

The price of TES-295 fluids is going to be high. That is because the ATF must pass extremely difficult tests and be made of very high quality basestocks and contain a special additive package.

That's the spec for Allison's "Transynd" fluid. I guess it's some good stuff- Allison will give extended warranty in some very tough applications if their customers use this fluid. It's also among the most expensive ATF's that I've seen... makes Amsoil look cheap.

One thing that I've noticed is that as Transynd ages, it tends to fade from red to yellow. I've got a pretty good stockpile of it, and I'll probably run it in the wife's '01 Lumina. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but I have several gallons of the stuff... I'll probably do one of those bucket flushes (which I've railed against in the past, but people here have convinced me that my concerns were unfounded).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Amsoil makes an equivalent to the Transynd that is a lot less expensive.

FWIW, Schaeffer's 204S All Trans is less expensive than Amsoil...

I don't know about Schaeffer's, but Amsoil's 'torque drive' fluid doesn't meet Allison's TES-295 spec.

Not that that's any surprise. You'd be taking Amsoil's word that it's "equivalent". Just like their regular ATF is "equivalent" to multiple (and contradictory) specifications.

Quote:
...but Amsoil's 'torque drive' fluid doesn't meet Allison's TES-295 spec.

Which part or subparagrapgh of the TES-295 spec doesn't it meet?

I think a more pertinent question is what proof is there that is DOES meet the spec? In this case, Amsoil's fluid isn't licensed. Others are. So you can buy licensed products that have been proven to meet the spec... or you can take Amsoil's word that their torque-drive fluid is pretty much the same as TES-295.

And considering that Amsoil's ATF can't POSSIBLY meet all the specs that it's 'reccommended' for... I seriously doubt that torque-drive meets TES-295.

It isn't licensed. Therefore I have no reason to believe that it IS compliant.

But take Amsoil's word for it if you want. Lots of people use the stuff with good results. Same could be said of Super Tech ATF, though.

TES-295 fluids go through a rigorous and complete testing and approval cycle by Allison; we can all agree upon that. The "need" for TES-295 fluids is debateable. TES-295 fluids are "required" if you're in an extended service contract with Allison. Use of a TES-295 licensed fluid is a requirement to meet the contract obligations.

Short of that, there are other products that offer the performance of TES-295 fluids, but without the added cost associated with the licensing. TorqueDrive, 204S-AT, and AutoTrans-5 all come to mind. For most people that want great performance, but don't "need" to fulfill the "requirement" of a licensed TES-295 fluid, the clones work well and offer a large fiscal savings.

Sure, the clones are not licensed, but that doesn't mean they are inferior; they are just not licensed. Amsoil engine oils are not licensed by the API as far as I know, but their products do very well when used as directed. Licensing is a good thing when you need to be able to prove something under contract. But if not, it's an added expense you can avoid and still get similar, if not the same, performance.

To the OP, Chromer, you have a choice to make. Do you "need" TES-295 fluids, or do you just "want" them? You have some good choices for both licensed and non-licensed fluids. As far as availability, I think you'll find better selection with the clones; TorqueDrive, 204S-AT, are available from supporting vendors here at BITOG. They can be shipped to your door, and for a very fair price.

(BTW - are you the same Chromer from over at DP? Welcome! to BITOG! Assuming this product is for your Dmax/Allison combo, I would suggest the clones over the licensed fluids. Great performance, better price.)

Last edited:
First, according to Schaeffers specs, the 204s will not work it's only good for the c4 spec. The Amsoil Torque Drive was a complet copy of the Allison chemistry of the Trans Synd.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
First, according to Schaeffers specs, the 204s will not work it's only good for the c4 spec. The Amsoil Torque Drive was a complet copy of the Allison chemistry of the Trans Synd.

A copy of tran-synd, but with G-IV basestocks and zero VII instead of G-III basestocks and some VII.

First, according to Schaeffers specs, the 204s will not work it's only good for the c4 spec.

Perhaps you got ahold of the wrong TDS (Technical Data Sheet)? The 204SAT is called out by Schaeffer for TES-295 service. However, the TDS linked directly from their ATF page is not the 204SAT.

I was just looking at the Scheaffers web site under 204s. I t just stated Allison C4. It was state earlier the Schaeffers was cheaper than the Amsoil. What is the list price of this oil?

I was just looking at the Scheaffers web site under 204s. I t just stated Allison C4. It was state earlier the Schaeffers was cheaper than the Amsoil. What is the list price of this oil?

My local distributor sells it at $27.40/gallon or $6.85 per quart at the case price. Larger quantities are less...

I just got some AutoTrans-5 for about $20/gallon. Got the 5 gallon pail, actually. Local pick-up for me, in my area. Can't beat that on the cloned performance/dollar aspect.

One thing I learned along time ago was not to purchase fluids solely on a cost basis. If a comparable product (all specs match) is available locally, then it's a good deal. I use Amsoil because it's available within 10 miles, and meets every specification for my applications.

One thing about either Transynd or Torque-Drive, or any extended life lube for that matter, is that periodic oil analysis should be considered. Amsoil does not recommend switching to Torque-Drive unless the customer is considering extended change intervals, or is currently using Transynd. They specifically note that those who purchased Allison's ETC coverage should not use Torque Drive, as this would void their contract. Amsoil also warranties the transmission against failure caused by lube failure (if it fails, grab an oil sample before it's drained).

Licensed or unlicensed (manufacturers pay to use the symbols) Amsoil products have never let me down or gave sub par performance as verified by actual analysis, of course other high end materials of the same specification may perform equally well.

I am a freak however, I like to keep vehicles running for decades (4 vehicles currently running: 33 years, 30 years, 23 years and 3 years).

Last edited:
Schaeffer says"

"All Trans Supreme is recommended for service fill and for use in the following applications.
--snip--
• Allison transmissions that specify the use of a TES 295 type fluid."
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/204s_alltrans.pdf

I was told by Schaeffer home office people a few years ago that Allison charged $50,000 just to set up the TES-295 test rig. This greatly effects any small lube maker from considering certification of their small-volume product.

Back