Beck Arnley DW-1

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Yes. It's the same as the Honda fluid. Even the bottle is the same, just different labels.

That's what I was thinking too. Identical bottle just with a different label.

Someone should buy it and do a VOA on it
banana2.gif

no O'R stores near me though
cry.gif

And half the price that the average person will pay for DW-1 at a dealer ! As others have said, the bottle appears identical to the Genuine Honda bottles.

Just curious if anyone's local (or nearby) O'Reilly stores have it in stock. Mine doesn't.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
And half the price that the average person will pay for DW-1 at a dealer ! As others have said, the bottle appears identical to the Genuine Honda bottles.

Just curious if anyone's local (or nearby) O'Reilly stores have it in stock. Mine doesn't.

Best place to buy the Honda DW-1 is Amazon unless you have a friend at the Honda dealer. I just use the Beck Arnley.

Yes. It's the same as the Honda fluid. Even the bottle is the same, just different labels.

Do you know that for sure? We've seen lots of "recommended for" DW-1 fluids on here with VOA but none were ever the same as Honda DW-1.

Its most certainly not chemically identical to DW-1. But likely more than acceptable.

As shown the Idemitsu product "H Plus" is not chemically identical and Idemitsu manufactures the DW-1.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Do you know that for sure? We've seen lots of "recommended for" DW-1 fluids on here with VOA but none were ever the same as Honda DW-1.

Well, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
smile.gif
. But I would like to see an analysis comparison between the Honda and BA fluids. I will say I haven't felt any differences in shifting with the BA fluid. And I used to be one of those, "Honda DW-1 or nothing" people.

Well, I wouldn't bet my life on it.
smile.gif
. But I would like to see an analysis comparison between the Honda and BA fluids. I will say I haven't felt any differences in shifting with the BA fluid. And I used to be one of those, "Honda DW-1 or nothing" people.

I think part of the 'point' is the bottles that BA is using. I have a bottle of genuine DW-1 at home but I'm sure someone can physically look before I get home. The shape of the bottle certainly looks similar as well as something as innocuous as the grey color they used. It has the appearance that the blender for actual DW-1 is repackaging it for BA as well. Otherwise, why would a manufacturer build plastic injection molds (they're not cheap !) for bottles to look like someone else's ?

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
https://www.beckarnley.com/content/...eets/ATF%20Type%20DW1%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

Not approved by Honda but viscosity seems close to Honda DW-1.

From their tech sheet, their wording is quite interesting:

Use this Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid for
Type DW-1 when Type DW-1 automatic transmission
fluid is required for Acura and Honda vehicles.

People don't always note the distinctions, but there's a big difference between licensed by or approved by vs "recommended for" or "suitable for". Here, they use the word "required", strongly suggesting their fluid is more than just "recommended for".

Could a company like Honda actually have an oil company by the balls to the point that only dealerships get a certain formulation? Or in fact all these other DW1s identical whereas the differences we see in voas are lab error just like we see in pcmo voas? What exactly is "DW1" spec? Is it the add pack? Viscosity? Are there any synthetic DW1 options?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Could a company like Honda actually have an oil company by the balls to the point that only dealerships get a certain formulation? Or in fact all these other DW1s identical whereas the differences we see in voas are lab error just like we see in pcmo voas? What exactly is "DW1" spec? Is it the add pack? Viscosity? Are there any synthetic DW1 options?

DW-1 is a specification, but outside of Honda no one knows the specifics since like most Asian manufacturers they do not sell the license.

No, the VOA posted on here so far show that no aftermarket fluid has had the same composition as Honda DW-1. Whether or not that is significant I do not know.

DW-1 is a specification, but outside of Honda no one knows the specifics since like most Asian manufacturers they do not sell the license.

No, the VOA posted on here so far show that no aftermarket fluid has had the same composition as Honda DW-1. Whether or not that is significant I do not know.

Thanks kschachn!
thumbsup2.gif

Personally I think there are better fluids out there. I am using Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent. Pulls better at lower speeds and really smooth shifting.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Personally I think there are better fluids out there. I am using Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent. Pulls better at lower speeds and really smooth shifting.

Where do you buy your Idemitsu? I have gotten to where I like to avoid dealerships because of their douchey attitudes.

Autozone, just one example, sells Idemitsu DW-1.

Could a company like Honda actually have an oil company by the balls to the point that only dealerships get a certain formulation?

"by the balls" ? It's nothing like that. Honda has a "formula" for their ATF and they have a "blender" produce it using the recipe they provide. This could be done by Shell, BP, Castrol, Valvoline, Joe's Fluid Blending, and so on. It's called "contract packaging".

I disagree. DW-1 is a product, not a specification. Basically to follow guidelines you have to use their product.

They probably work with the oil company pretty closely to come up with DW-1, but the blender is not allowed to copy the formulation and sell it separately.
Since they know more about lubricants they can come awfully close to copying it (if not better) and sell a suitable product. But it is not identical.

Back