Gl-5 or gl-4

My manual recommends 75w 90 gl-4 but most of what i found was 80w 90 gl-5 could gl-5 be used safely instead of gl-4?
1300cc Mitsubishi lancer 1.3 manual transmission

Hello Espada - I think you should use GL-4, even if have to order it. GL-5 has additives which can damage the brass synchronizers in a manual transmission.

I have been very pleased with Redline MTF. It's designed for manual transmissions, and contains friction modifiers than help the synchronizers get up to speed.

Best regards!

Here is a list of MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range:

NOTE: This list is only a "summary" list of MTFs available in the MTF Lubricant Market. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.Â

1. Amsoil MTGÂ
2. Redline MT-90Â
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QSÂ
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4
10. Pennzoil 75W90 GL-4
11. Motul Gear 300 GL-4/GL-5 (Product Number 100118)

Last edited:
I'm trying to determine the correct differential fluid for my car. It's a BMW 1 Series.

It isn't clear if the fluid should be GL-4 or GL-5. The parts info shows a different fluid for earlier models but the differential is the same part number across all years.

Is there any harm in using one or the other?

I've asked this on a BMW forum to no avail.

Originally Posted by GJM120

I'm trying to determine the correct differential fluid for my car. It's a BMW 1 Series.

It isn't clear if the fluid should be GL-4 or GL-5. The parts info shows a different fluid for earlier models but the differential is the same part number across all years.

Gear oil for the diff will be GL-5. Many manual trans will call for GL-4.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Originally Posted by GJM120

Gear oil for the diff will be GL-5. Many manual trans will call for GL-4.

That's what I'm hoping as I changed out the fluid with GL-5. I don't think there are soft metals in the diff which I believe is where GL-5 can cause a problem.
I have to add the the fluid on one of the aftermarket vendor sites shows GL-4 for earlier cars and GL-5 for later. But, like I mentioned above, the part number is the same for all years of the car.

I think some people may be putting GL-5 in the transmission of manual cars. Mine is AT so not a concern for me.

Last edited:
Some full syn gear oils like RP Max Gear are rated for both GL-4 and GL-5, but my experience was that Max Gear was too slippery and synchronizer operation was almost non-existent. A swap to GL-4 Pennzoil Synchromesh, and all was fine again!

Not sure if you can find Pennzoil GL-4 transmission oil In your area.

4B8828D4-D62E-46C6-9B2C-6ED369D85F78.jpeg

Last edited:
CRC markets a GL-4 non synthetic. Also, Red Line MT90 is easy to find and it's a synthetic GL-4.

GL5 will ruin your synchros. Plus you'll get gear clash. If your car specs 75W50,get some Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90.

As Molakule suggested. My pick for that transmission...have it in two cars of my sig. Syntrans transaxle feels smoother on the long term.

Edit : maybe I presumed a bit, If you have the last gen Lancer, than I have the same Getrag transmission
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule

NOTE: This list is only a "summary" list of MTFs available in the MTF Lubricant Market. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.Â

1. Amsoil MTGÂ
2. Redline MT-90Â
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4
10. Pennzoil 75W90 GL-4

I would add Driven GO GL-4 80w-90 to that list as well.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

1. Amsoil MTGÂ
2. Redline MT-90Â
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4
10. Pennzoil 75W90 GL-4

Do you have a link to a comprehensive oil properties sheet or a VOA?

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

1. Amsoil MTGÂ
2. Redline MT-90Â
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL4
10. Pennzoil 75W90 GL-4

Do you have a link to a comprehensive oil properties sheet or a VOA?

I do not. I'll see if I can get one though.

Amazon has an MTF GL4 called Ultra-Lub for $6/qt

Other than Amazon, the easiest GL4 to obtain that's usable in a manual transmission is Liqui-Moly 20012 from Napa

Not being able to find good GL4 you can use in a non-Honda manual has been one of my worries for a long time, since I learned you can't use the GL5 that stores actually sell. It makes me afraid to buy a non-Honda manual transmission. Honda manual transmissions can use motor oil, so there is less of a problem (some parts stores even stock synchromesh MTF that is also usable in them)

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Not sure if you can find Pennzoil GL-4 transmission oil In your area.

I have never heard of that one before
crazy2.gif

You can find cases of it on eBay

Originally Posted by Popsy

As Molakule suggested. My pick for that transmission...have it in two cars of my sig. Syntrans transaxle feels smoother on the long term.

Edit : maybe I presumed a bit, If you have the last gen Lancer, than I have the same Getrag transmission
wink.gif

Where do you get your Castrol Syntrans?

Sometimes if you're lucky, you can find an eBay seller in Europe that will ship to the US, albeit at a high price

Last edited:
I have got my hands on 80w 90 Gl-4 by mannol but i have got another issue my manual calls for 2.1 liters while the oil comes in 950ml bottles so i am missing about 200ml of oil as i bought 2 bottles only are the remaining 200ml worth buying a 3rd bottle ?

Originally Posted by Espada
I have got my hands on 80w 90 Gl-4 by mannol but i have got another issue my manual calls for 2.1 liters while the oil comes in 950ml bottles so i am missing about 200ml of oil as i bought 2 bottles only are the remaining 200ml worth buying a 3rd bottle ?

Absolutely. I think running 200ml low with a 2,100ml fill is a big risk.

Back