2014 Ford F-150 trans fluid change

I am having a qualified automatic transmission shop change my synthetic AT Fluid in my Ford F-150. It costs $249.00 and they drain the torque converter too and they use synthetic fluid. The truck has 51,000 miles on it and it shifts great. I think the manual states change at 60,000 miles. Anyone had any problems with a good shop doing this job?

This maybe a dumb question but... Is the fluid they are going to put in legit and approved for the F 150??

I'd definitely want a real official approved fluid put in. Aftermarket fluids are fine if they carry a approval number on them.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Sounds like a good deal. However those converters, unless aftermarket, don't have a drain plug. Are they doing the pan filter also?

Yes they are doing the pan filter and it's all original therefore for $249.00 plus tax I hope they exchange a lot of fluid.

Originally Posted by bbhero
This maybe a dumb question but... Is the fluid they are going to put in legit and approved for the F 150??

I'd definitely want a real official approved fluid put in. Aftermarket fluids are fine if they carry a approval number on them.

Yes, I am sure they will use an approved synthetic fluid. I will find out what they use tomorrow.

Yeah let us know what fluid they use... I'm sure you are on top of things and make sure it's right...

Yeah let us know what fluid they use... I'm sure you are on top of things and make sure it's right...

Their "synthetic" fluid is probably a generic multi-vehicle fluid.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Yes, I will find out what they are using.

Many of those are licensed Ford Mercon LV, so there is no problem
smile.gif

Yeah if so... Just me... But I would want a specific approval number on a transmission fluid. Even if it's a universal fluid I would like a real specific approval number on it.

I believe Ford does have that process for the transmission fluids in their vehicles. I know Coastal multi vehicle semi synthetic transmission fluid has a actual Mercon V approval number on it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Many of those are licensed Ford Mercon LV, so there is no problem
smile.gif

We've found that not to be the case. Get real Mercon LV. It's not more expensive and it works better. Sometimes far better. One fluid in particular is not a good choice. The Valvoline maxlife multi-vehicle fluid is not the same as Mercon LV and will result in harsh downshifts.

Originally Posted by Ram02
I thought ford recommended 150k fluid changes on their transmissions?

For most models yes, but I think 50k is listed under severe service for some trucks.

The actual change interval for normal use is...never. 150k miles is for severe service. That being said, they had better have a machine that heats the new fluid above 170f or the internal thermostat won't allow any fluid exchange at all. The 6R80 is a robust transmission that works perfectly fine with drain/fills. I would be leary of using anything except Mercon LV in it. I think this transmission shop is feeding you a line as there is no drain on the torque converter.

I put a pan with a drain plug on mine at 20k miles and will drain and fill every 30k. Mercon LV is cheap.

Last edited:
I had my dealer change the tranny fluid/filter, T-case and rear axle oil in 2018 at a tick over 50K miles. No issues, shifts like new.
The dealer listed Merc LV on the invoice (just checked, I save receipts in my log book).

I tow a lot of toys, regardless of season, so 50K is my limit. Not a fan of the fill for life / 150K severe service.

Just had wife s done yesterday at local shop,72 k on truck.manual said 150k,but she thought it was shifting hard when changing gear from park and reverse.dropped pan and filter.tech says fluid was dark like motor oil. So the exchanged all the fluid they could. Used wolfshead synthetic,and the owner is noticing much better shifting from trans. Tech said it was probably too long with fluid,said do 60 to 65 k intervals max. No dipstick to check fluid so will do this going forward. Good investment for the money,

U could try a harbor freight 12v suction pump and diy with 2 jugs of maxlife without dropping pan...80 bucks total. I do d and fs on a jeep and cavalier with no problems. U can go buy the book with mercon LV too ....i have a friend with a 95 ford windstar van that has 345k miles and ATF mightve been changed once but he never had it done since he bought it 14 years ago.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Sounds like a good deal. However those converters, unless aftermarket, don't have a drain plug. Are they doing the pan filter also?

Not true. The TC in the 4R100 in my 98 F150 does have a drain plug.

Ok fellow BITOG friends I have an update for you. I talked to the technician this morning and they have a state of the art machine called BG and they flush the entire system. The torque converter doesn't have a drain plug. They also put it on a computer to make sure it works properly before they due the fluid and filter change. They use genuine Ford AT fluid. This is a very reputable shop and they only work on fluid changes/ nothing else therefore it is a specialized AT shop. I pull a 1750 Lund boat with 2 outboards and it's pretty heavy therefore I thought 51,000 miles would be about right for the first change. I would rather be safe than sorry because I plan on keeping the truck a long time.

Back