Clutch Choice

Vehicle is my 2007 Ram 1500 ST; 3.7l; G238 6spd; 2wd.

My truck has over 200k miles on it, and still has the factory clutch. Nothing has been giving me the indication that the clutch is about to fail, no slipping during my new commute through the mountains, onto I81, and back into the mountains (122mi one way, the new job is worth it though), even when I had some short logs in the back as a winter traction aid. Given how many miles is on the clutch though, I can't help but think it isn't long for this world; I can't be that good at driving stick.

Anyways, I want to buy and keep a new clutch to keep behind the seats, so that if it does fail when I'm multiple counties from home, I don't get raked over the coals by a mechanic on parts markup. I know I should probably have it preemptively changed, but at the same time I really want to see how far I can possibly go. Can I hit 250k? 300k?

So I'm on rock auto, and I never realized that there was a huge selection for my truck (this engine/tranny combo). They list both 11" (I think they are actually over 11" but less than 12") and 12" clutches, series dampened and non-series dampened. I think O.E. for the 3.7l is 11", and 12" is for the 4.7l with the G238, but both engines use the same flywheel, so apparently the 12" clutches should fit no issue on the 3.7l.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2007,ram+1500+pickup,3.7l+v6,1440262,transmission-manual,clutch+kit,1993

Since I've started living more rural, and my wife is starting to do a little hobby farm at home, I am doing A LOT more hauling and towing. Though not to heavy weight as I don't want to exceed the relatively low specs of my truck.

What would you guys recommend?
Should I include any other parts like the master/slave cylinder?

I'm going through rockauto because I have a gift card that needs to be used soon, and some store credit.

The G238 appears to be geared pretty nice. As long as you always take off in 1st gear, I don't see the clutch wearing too much. Plus 3.7s are pretty low powered and a 2wd truck is pretty light.

I'd be more concerned with the slave cylinder wearing out or failing from age and old fluid. I have been in Jeeps with 200K miles on the original clutch and they looked like they had another 200K on them.

Back