Bosch Quietcast BC905 Brake Pads - 6mm new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a set of Bosch Quietcast brake pads to try and noticed the new pad only has 6.0-6.5mm of material.

The Genuine Nissan pad for this application has 8-9mm of material.

I have seen this issue before with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads because of the abnormally thick backing plate (from their built-in shim). Since the Bosch pads are of a more conventional design, I was very surprised to see the same issue.

93515E78-00C1-4006-A77C-9C5DFC82B8F1.jpeg

31126983-2C75-41A1-A962-D662FF08CB00.jpeg

0E32A70E-5739-46A3-96DF-DD7357E98AAD.jpeg

HOW do we sell more brake pads ... ?

Make them 75 % as thick as anybody else's brake pad. Great idea, nobody will actually measure them ...

Brembo aftermarket did and possible still do this with MC pads, they wear out faster and you buy new ones quicker, or you buy Brembo OE and get almost a third additional thickness. Its that simple

Hi Critic,

Which vehicle are these for?
Please let us know how you like the stopping feel of these pads.

Thanks,

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Hi Critic,

Please let us know how you like the stopping feel of these pads.

Thanks,

CB

FMSI 905 pads = rear pads for many (if not most) Nissan/Infiniti cars and crossovers from 2003-2015.
Between the bent indicator and the lack of material, these are getting sent back.

I got the front Wagner TQ for the Civic and noticed they were not thick, installed them anyways - rear ones were Centric Ceramic and they were beefy!

Recently did rear brakes for TSX with Wagner ZD537 and noticed similar behavior but have installed them anyways.

Will see how long they'll last.

Critic, do you see any pattern for certain manufactures or noticing for the first time? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

We quit using Bosch pads years ago because of quality issues. Being in the northeast we get road salt in the winter and after 2-3 years the friction material would start rust jacking off the backing plate

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
I got the front Wagner TQ for the Civic and noticed they were not thick, installed them anyways - rear ones were Centric Ceramic and they were beefy!

Recently did rear brakes for TSX with Wagner ZD537 and noticed similar behavior but have installed them anyways.

Will see how long they'll last.

Critic, do you see any pattern for certain manufactures or noticing for the first time? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I have only seen this "issue" with ThermoQuiets, and now, Bosch.

Originally Posted by Timmastertech
We quit using Bosch pads years ago because of quality issues. Being in the northeast we get road salt in the winter and after 2-3 years the friction material would start rust jacking off the backing plate

Interesting. What do you use now?

Last edited:
Those look like rear pads. I ran what I thought were cheap bosch pads (blue pads) on the back of a Murano for 105k. I did just install the quiet cast on the back of my altima a few weeks back and also thought they were thin.

Originally Posted by Timmastertech

Pretty much why as a diy, it's just as easy to buy pads from the local parts store and replace them, needed or not when I do a brake service. Under warranty lol.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Hi Critic,

FMSI 905 pads = rear pads for many (if not most) Nissan/Infiniti cars and crossovers from 2003-2015.

I recognized that p/n (well, the '905' part) because my '08 G35X uses them as well. Amazing, and impressed, how Nissan uses a common brake pad for the rear across so many models. The difference in size between the fronts and rears, at least on my car, are crazy though.

But those skinny rear pads last for some reason. My nissans used oil and I blew a cvt but never had a rotor turned or replaced under warranty. That's something lol.

We have been using Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional pads for at least 5 years since we moved away from Bosch. Sometimes we use OES/OEM, depends on the customer/availability. We have had zero noise issues or longevity issues with the platinum pads. 99 percent of the pad sets come with hardware that is good quality. I never liked the hardware the Bosch pads came with and lots of sets didnt have hardware. We usually use Carquest rotors as well. Up here, the rotors are going to rust out by next pad change anyway. OE and coated rotors dont fare any better

Interesting. IDK if this might be related or not. I just swapped the pads on my F150 with only 23,000 miles on them. I upgraded to Hawk LTS for a bit more grip, and there's a marked improvement in pedal feel. The rear pads were barely worn.

While the new Hawk pad being installed is shaped like a traditional pad, the oe ford pad did not have a lot of material on it. If you can picture that the metal backing is perhaps 6" long, and the pad material is say 4" long, it's only 4" long after the first 2/3 of it is worn. It's almost shaped like a top hat, where the first 2/3 of the material to wear out is maybe 2.5" of material which actually touches the rotor. And it's not angled or beveled, it's like a top hat. So in reality, even the oem rear pads only have half of the material that they could hold within the same package.

Originally Posted by meep
While the new Hawk pad being installed is shaped like a traditional pad, the oe ford pad did not have a lot of material on it. If you can picture that the metal backing is perhaps 6" long, and the pad material is say 4" long, it's only 4" long after the first 2/3 of it is worn. It's almost shaped like a top hat, where the first 2/3 of the material to wear out is maybe 2.5" of material which actually touches the rotor. And it's not angled or beveled, it's like a top hat. So in reality, even the oem rear pads only have half of the material that they could hold within the same package.

That's done to help against vibrations and the NVH that will send a lot of people back to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back