Toyota thumbs-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a Toyota fan boy but after much discussion decided to use the Toyota T-IV transmission fluid for the Aisin 09M in the Tiguan as this is the OE fill. Aisin is not too picky and I could have bought Dex 6 or Castrol multi-import for about $4.50 a quart. The Toyota dealer was $6.50 a quart. I asked about a veterans discount and was surprised when the total bill came to $31 for 6 quarts. Thanks Toyota!

Can't go wrong with factory Toyota. Sounds like a dealer to build a relationship with the parts department.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Not really a Toyota fan boy but after much discussion decided to use the Toyota T-IV transmission fluid for the Aisin 09M in the Tiguan as this is the OE fill. Aisin is not too picky and I could have bought Dex 6 or Castrol multi-import for about $4.50 a quart. The Toyota dealer was $6.50 a quart. I asked about a veterans discount and was surprised when the total bill came to $31 for 6 quarts. Thanks Toyota!

I though in Tiguan is Toyota WS equivalent, or low viscosity one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Aisin sells their own fluid for the 09M/G and it's a T-IV. The interesting thing is if you look online for replacement oil from RockAuto to Walmart just about every type of oil produced in the last couple decades, including the WS is shown as the proper fitment.

Aisin sells their own fluid for the 09M/G and it's a T-IV. The interesting thing is if you look online for replacement oil from RockAuto to Walmart just about every type of oil produced in the last couple decades, including the WS is shown as the proper fitment.

The first gen 09M/G take T-IV, which is the equivalent of JWS3309 or VW G055025. The second gen uses WS, which is JWS3324 or VW G055540.

Originally Posted by The Critic

The first gen 09M/G take T-IV, which is the equivalent of JWS3309 or VW G055025. The second gen uses WS, which is JWS3324 or VW G055540.

Don't doubt it. Ravenol cross reference VW G055025 indicates T-IV from 2009 through 2018. ECS tuning indicates the VW G055025 through 2018. I think the second gen is 2012 thru 2017. Like I said, it seems likely that the transmission isn't as finicky as some others in the fluid choice. I am not going to worry about it for another 4 years or 40K. I do have to say the bottom fill method VW uses is about stupid. The thing I changed inside thinking it was a filter is basically a baffle. There was almost zero debris on the magnets and the fluid was clean and bright. If I knew all I know now, yesterday, I would have went another 20k or farther mile before doing the change.

OEM ATF prices being down or reasonable to the wallet could mean one of 3 things

a) Folks are taking their vehicles for routine maintenance including transmissions oil changes
b) The newer transmissions may not be all that reliable warranting manufacturers to keep fluids acceptable.
c) There could be transmission claims before warranty in using OTC fluids that cannot be denied

I am sure more of bullet C, since there is no money to be made from fluids these days (unless the Euro boutique fluids).

By any yardstick, the fluids being acceptable to the wallet helps the vehicle manufacturers.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Good to know.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
2 transmission troubles later - only OEM tranny fluids for me.

After my experience with Toyota WS only Maxlife for me.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
2 transmission troubles later - only OEM tranny fluids for me.

The majority of OEM fluids are DEXRON clones nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back