Caliper Piston Type Differences Lucas ATE Bosch Brembo etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caliper Piston Type Differences Lucas ATE Bosch Brembo etc

Browsing a Frenkit Caliper piston catalogue for a given size of piston I can't help but notice that aaprt from the obvious diameter and height differences, brake pistons appear to fall into Types.

FrenKit Piston Catalogue

We have:

ATE
Bendix
Bosch
Lucas
Sumit
Teves

I would have had it, a piston of say 48mm is a piston of 48mm. Apparently not, anyone know what the differences are?

[Linked Image]

Calipers seem to be desribed as Girling or Bendix Type. Anyone know the differences?

FrenKit.png

Last edited:
Girling (Also Teeves/ATE) and Bendix have differences in terms of how the seals and heat shields are held on. Also how the sliding pins and other clips are held in.

The interference fit and design of the heat shield/pad holder differs quite a bit.

Thanks for that. I do have a functioning keyboard in front of me, yet despite this, all I can find on 'Calliper types' is elemental stuff on fixed and floating, and boy-racer bumpf about the need for 22 pot jobbies painted red. All vegatable and no meat. I don't know about you, but I just like to know this stuff. I must get out more!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ordinarybloke
Thanks for that. I do have a functioning keyboard in front of me, yet despite this, all I can find on 'Calliper types' is elemental stuff on fixed and floating, and boy-racer bumpf about the need for 22 pot jobbies painted red. All vegatable and no meat. I don't know about you, but I just like to know this stuff. I must get out more!

Ha! Yes, it's hard to find. I'm familiar because I rebuilt w123 bendix calipers this summer, and the MB FSM describes some of the differences.

Thank goodness for Frenkit too! Their catalog also gives piston diameters, fwiw. Some do differ...

This is not unlike a certain Monty Python 'Theory' sketch?! Where the "Thepry' is never stated.

Can anyone say what are the differences? I've looked in Mercedes circles and can't find anything in detail. Autofren's older catalogues also listed by piston Type. Sadly, new version does not.

Autofren Brake Calliper Pistons By Size

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back