Switching from Honda DW1 to Valvoline MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggesting making a move to cheaper option since it appears that OEM stuff doesn't really hold up (16' Pilot, 6AT). Anyone has hands on experience with the switch that you could share?

MaxLife has no approvals, just recommendations. Universal isn't right in the world of transmissions.

I switched from Mercon LV to MaxLife and hated it in my E450. Switching to a licensed fluid made it normal, thankfully.

I have used MaxLife in Hondas and Acuras with good results. And Toyotas. And Nissans.
Full transparency, I am using Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent now, just because.
I still use MaxLife in friend's older Hondas. Some cars just don't get regular AT service.

All good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
MaxLife has no approvals, just recommendations. Universal isn't right in the world of transmissions.

There has been a lot of success on this forum using Maxlife in Toyota applications.
Feel free to dismiss it out of hand but many members here report very good results.

I used MaxLife in my Pilot (5 A/T) and didn't like it - weird flares and jerks. Went away as soon as I switched back to DW1.

OTH, ML is great in my Accord. Much snappier and positive shifts compared to lazy DW1. I'm of the opinion that ML is better suited for older Z1 applications, not DW1.
49.gif

Maxlife is great stuff.that will work great in your Pilot
smile.gif

Another very good option is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. A few times a year, it goes on sale for $5/qt at the major parts stores.

Still under powertrain warranty? If yes DW-1 otherwise do what you feel is good.

My 07 MDX running strong on DW-1 mostly over 200k.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Still under powertrain warranty? If yes DW-1 otherwise do what you feel is good.

My 07 MDX running strong on DW-1 mostly over 200k.

NEVER ignore this advice. I'd recommend using a dedicated fluid that says it is designed to work with Honda DW-1/Z-1 specifically.
Castrol IMV Transmax is a good match for Honda automatic transmissions.

Last edited:
I have used both MaxLife and Castrol IMV in my Asian vehicles without issues. Honda, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan, Mazda were all OK with it. But, I guess you can get one that acts a bit different from the OE fluid.

In my opinion, I'd probably rather switch to Amsoil's ATF instead of MaxLife and just lump it in with your next order of oil.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Suggesting making a move to cheaper option since it appears that OEM stuff doesn't really hold up (16' Pilot, 6AT).

What do you mean it doesn't hold up?

I switched my daughter's 08 CRV with 120k miles on it over to MaxLife and I've been running Redline D4 in my Ridgeline for the past 50k miles. Both run great, have no issues. I'll be switching the Ridgeline to Maxlife soon since the cost of D4 is double that of Maxlife.

Suggesting making a move to cheaper option since it appears that OEM stuff doesn't really hold up (16' Pilot, 6AT). Anyone has hands on experience with the switch that you could share?

Under warranty? Stick with DW-1

Idemitsu has friction blends that are correct for your Honda trans vs the generic "universal" type.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/idemitsu/atf

I would only trust a Honda specific blend or Honda DW1 (which is made by idemitsu FWIW)

If you are worried about it "holding up" a slightly more aggressive drain and fill program, and a magnefine trans filter cannot hurt.

UD

I've used Maxlife in hundreds of Hondas/Acuras with great results. It holds up better than the Honda fluid, esp for the V6 SUVs/Vans.

What would be recommendation for "more agressive" drain and fill routine? every 7500 or so?

This is good, "safe" advice. If there is one, leaves Honda one less out in worst case scenario.

As for Idemitsu H+, while it may advertise "specifically blended" for Honda, it is NOT the same as DW1 as proven by a member who had a VOA done as linked. Not saying it's not fine for DW1 applications, just not the same. Further, at the linked AAP price of ~$8/qt might as well go with DW1 imo.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4995272/voa-idemitsu-atf-type-h-plus-dw1

What would be recommendation for "more agressive" drain and fill routine? every 7500 or so?

Something like that - your call entirely - as you are going off the Hond MM system

Your manual should tell you what the full interval will be and you can pick a halfway point to freshen up the batch with a mid-interval drain and fill and see if a few quarts of fresh fluid keeps the feel you like and returns an analysis you are comfortable with under your specific use.

Id bet with a top side changer and the right funnel a d&F is a 15 minute job.

Then you can do a full dump at the MM interval or create a schedule of continuous d&R.

Couple of ways to skin this cat.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back