Brake Fluid DOT 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the Toyota DOT 3 Brake Fluid?

What is a good brand for DOT 3 brake fluid?

How often should one change the brake fluid?

Can just sucking the old brake fluid from the reservior every few thousand miles be good?

Thanks

Why does it matter? Gov specs are the same regardless.

You can get better DOT 4 for not much more. Valvoline, Castrol, Walmart Supertech

Every 2-3 years

Wouldn't hurt but mostly a waste if the fluid in the lines and calipers or ABS pump are still 10 years old.

Originally Posted by painfx

Can just sucking the old brake fluid from the reservior every few thousand miles be good?

Thanks

any brand is good as far as I am concerned.
I believe at least every few years.
sucking just the fluid out of the reservoir isn't good enough. the really nasty stuff that gets affected by the brake temps is down in the calipers and lines.

I started doing mine every three years now. I am going to do it for the first time on the mazda soon.
I am on my truck too. Its probably still good but it looks all brown and dark so I am going to change it. Its only a couple years old.
I just did the buick last year.

If you are the average driver who never really heats up the brakes from extreme driving, towing, etc., then any of the name brand DOT 3 fluids will do. When I'm working on family cars, I will typically buy either Prestone or Valvoline, whichever one is on sale at the time. That said, Valvoline sells a brake fluid that is labeled DOT 3 & 4. Which means that it meets DOT 4, but also DOT 3. Of course all DOT 4 is backwards compatible with DOT 3, but I guess Valvoline is labeling it that way for those who are uneducated on brake fluid.

If you do driving that puts a lot of heat into your brakes, then skip the DOT 3 and go with DOT 4. In DOT 4 you will find a wide range of performance from one brand to another. But since you are asking about DOT 3, then I'll assume that any will do.

Originally Posted by atikovi

You can get better DOT 4 for not much more. Valvoline, Castrol, Walmart Supertech
Originally Posted by BHopkins
If you do driving that puts a lot of heat into your brakes, then skip the DOT 3 and go with DOT 4. In DOT 4 you will find a wide range of performance from one brand to another. But since you are asking about DOT 3, then I'll assume that any will do.
DOT 3 absorbs less moisture than DOT 4, to what extent I am not sure.

Originally Posted by CT8
Siphoning out the M/C does not really do any good

And nor does it do any harm. Most cars make it to the junk yard with the original brake fluid in it's lines. If folks want fresh brake fluid in the master brake cylinder, siphoning achieves that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by painfx

Thanks

I use ATE TYP200 DOT4 fluid in Toyota.
No, you should not suck old brake fluid.
Get pressure pump and bleed all wheels properly. It is not only boiling point that matters, but moisture in fluid can cause issues with main cylinder down the road.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by atikovi

Originally Posted by BHopkins

DOT4 is far superior to DOT3 performance wise.

Originally Posted by edyvw
DOT4 is far superior to DOT3 performance wise.
I've never read anything about any performance gains, just that it has a higher boiling point and is regarded as being superior to DOT 3. The only downside is that it absorbs more moisture than DOT 3, I think it had something to do with the higher boiling point but I'm not sure. Could this be why DOT 3 is still on the shelves when DOT 4 is superior is on the shelf right beside it?

DOT4 does not absorb more moisture than DOT3.

TYP200 seems to be one of the top products on the market (it is actually Safebrake 10M made by Clariant):
https://www.clariant.com/en/Solutions/Products/2013/12/09/18/29/Safebrake-10-M
Approvals:
Car manufacturer / automotive supplier Norm
Fiat/Alfa Romeo FIAT 9.55597
Ferrari SAE J1704
Maserati SAE J1704
Continental ATE N 553 11.05
You can add MB 331.1
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevo...p;mark=clariant&suchbegriff=clariant

It's not just the higher wet boiling point and lower viscosity...

Can you post some literature to that effect? Never heard of it.

Could this be why DOT 3 is still on the shelves when DOT 4 is superior is on the shelf right beside it?

Most likely because a quart of DOT 3 is a buck or two cheaper and the average buyer only reads "brake fluid" not DOT numbers and goes for the cheapest on the shelf.

Last edited:
Some vehicles are specifying DOT 4 LV brake fluid. Both cars in my signature and many late model Ford products. LV stands for low viscosity.

There are small amounts of additives in brakefluid to provide corrosion immunity and lubrication

So if you seldom change it they might make a difference. If you change every 2 or 3 years. no difference.

Rod

I wish we could end the confusion surrounding DOT 3 vs. DOT 4. If you Google the subject, the explanations are all over the place.

Things I have read:

- DOT 4 absorbs water slower or faster vs. DOT 3?
- One is better in wet/humid conditions vs. the other?? Either is listed better in different articles.
- DOT 4 should be replaced more often for numerous reasons?
- DOT 4 is more resistant to water absorption, but its boiling point drops of faster when it does absorb water vs. DOT 3. I.E., DOT 4 starts our with higher boiling points, but could drop below DOT 3 specs faster IF it takes on water.
- Borates in DOT 4 "might" damage some systems designed for DOT 3?

From this article: https://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm
DOT 3 vs. DOT 4
"DOT 4 fluid, which has a higher minimum boiling temperature requirement (446 degrees F dry and 311 degrees wet) soaks up moisture at a slower rate but suffers an even sharper drop in boiling temperature as moisture accumulates. Three percent water will lower the boiling point as much as 50%!"

My take on all of this is that "bigger is not always better". Many people think that DOT 4 is inherently better in all aspects. DOT 3 is still recommended in many OEM manuals. IF your conditions create higher braking heat than "normal" , then choose DOt 4. If you live in the flatlands and drive like Grandma Moses, the benefits of DOT 4 will never be realized. And, if my quote above is accurate, the DOT 4 might be worse if you neglect maintenance.

I change mine every 30,000 miles, though it is a complete brake flush, I'm surprised as the car gets older, the brake fluid gets darker meaning it's rusting internally.

I use only synthetic brake fluid with the maybe false assumption that synthetic brake fluid absorbs less moisture.

I change brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage because it likes to absorb moisture. Have never had a caliper, wheel cylinder seize up or abs distribution module go bad and no brake lines replaced. The fluid always comes out clean instead of rusty.

I use any shelf oil that is a major brand. I also look at the dates and try to source the freshest I can. I store remaining fluid inside tightly sealed and will not use it again if it sits in this condition more than 6 months.

Last edited:
I had a buddy who was a car nut. I asked him how often he changed his brake fluid. He said " Never. Do you think that's often enough?"
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back