Lubeguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 97 chevy pickup that has a shudder when it goes into lockup does this 2oz lubeguard additive work ? Should i buy the bigger bottle of it ? Opinions ?

All Lubegard stuff is top notch. It sounds like shudder fixx would be your best bet to start. Or, drop the pan, change the filter, and top the tranny off with the correct amount of Lubegard Red and remainder with fresh tranny fluid.

First thing I'll ask is, have youn tried changing out the ATF?
Maybe even a couple of times & change out the screen/filter?

Second. Is this LubeGard Shutter Fix?

Third. If so, is this for trannies or differentials or both?

Fourth. What does the directions say?

Need more info.

Last edited:
If you haven't already done so I'd start with a pan drop and filter change, and a line off fluid exchange. Use the correct ATF and a bottle of LG red.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
First thing I'll ask is, have youn tried changing out the ATF?
Maybe even a couple of times & change out the screen/filter?

Second. Is this LubeGard Shutter Fix?

Third. If so, is this for trannies or differentials or both?

Fourth. What does the directions say?

Need more info.

+1 Excellent post

Originally Posted by demarpaint
If you haven't already done so I'd start with a pan drop and filter change, and a line off fluid exchange. Use the correct ATF and a bottle of LG red.

+1, very good post here also!

I agree with all of the above, but I would also like to add that my current transmission fluid fill includes a bottle of Lubegard Red. It has been in nearly 30,000 miles and has continued to shift cleanly and reliably the whole time.

Lubegard makes some good stuff... but with the problems you describe, I'd start with the base fluid and do a full drain/fill.

fluid and filter have been changed, that's the first thing i tried. I was looking at the 2oz bottle but didn't know if i should just buy the larger bottle and go with that. Don't even know if they are different products. I have no problem sucking some fluid out to add the larger bottle. Thanks !

Originally Posted by hardheaded
fluid and filter have been changed, that's the first thing i tried. I was looking at the 2oz bottle but didn't know if i should just buy the larger bottle and go with that. Don't even know if they are different products. I have no problem sucking some fluid out to add the larger bottle. Thanks !
I had another question for you smart people. I also have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville that shifts hard once in awhile and was wondering if the Lube Guard might help it also. Thanks !

Buy the quart, it's much cheaper that way. Dose everything you have- Lubegard Red is the only trans fluid additive that carries manufacturer approvals. It keeps solenoids, valves, etc nice and clean, and moving freely. Use 1oz per quart of transmission fluid, so if your truck is a K1500, an easy guide would be to replace 12oz of trans fluid with Lubegard Red. If you don't want to buy the quart (cheapest per fluid oz), then buy and add the full 10oz bottle after removing 10oz of trans fluid.

The 2 oz bottle is more concentrated in its additives compared to the larger Red (which has other additives also)

It is often used as a diagnostic tool.

If the shuddering stops, then it is fluid. If the shuddering continues, it is likely mechanical issues.

I had another question for you smart people. I also have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville that shifts hard once in awhile and was wondering if the Lube Guard might help it also. Thanks !

It might. I would add it in conjunction with a transmission service. Unless the unit was recently serviced, in which case I would extract ATF and replace the specified amount with LG Red.

1) Was the fluid change just a pan drain/fill (which is about 1/3 of the fluid or maybe a bit more), or a full swap of the volume? If the former, do that once or even better, twice more.

2) RE: Buick and hard shift: it might help, BUT: check motor mounts, I had a car that took me a while to resolve that, fluid helped a bit. Lubegard helped a good deal, but no complete fix. Upper torque mount helped a LOT. Then I found a bad side motor mount. FIXED. Can be multiple source for this.

LG red has been used here in dozens of vehicles over many years. It can be very helpful, sometimes even amazing. But sometimes even it is unable to fix real damage. I feel it is as posted above, a diagnostic step to see what you need.

I'd get the fluid clean then add the recommended dose of LG red.

Only after a day of driving (to see if the red had any effect) would I add their anti-shudder product.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Kira
I'd get the fluid clean then add the recommended dose of LG red.

Only after a day of driving (to see if the red had any effect) would I add their anti-shudder product.

Good luck

thumbsup2.gif
Yes, if the LG red yielded the desired results, I'd stop there.

ok i will go with the 12 oz bottle. Is anyone adding this stuff to new transmissions ? 2015 and up ? I also have a 99 chevy suburban with Mobil full syn. fluid and was thinking about swapping it out with Dex 6 from the dealer and installing the LG red 12 oz bottle in that also.

I put lubegard red into my 2010 escape because after a drain and fill I was a little low on ATF and I didn't have any tranny fluid handy but I had an unopened bottle of lubegard red floating around. It works fine. I've also used it in various other transmissions/vehicles and it always seems to make shifting a little better. Even with fresh and quality ATF. It does take a few hundred miles of driving and/or a few days to take effect completely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back