Oops! I put limited slip additive in transfercase

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI!
I'm looking for some advice - I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7 Auto. I mistakenly added about 4oz of limited slip additive when doing a fluid change to the transfercase (I was doing both diff's as well but just screwed up where that stuff was supposed to go). Dodge calls for just straight ATF +4 in there. Should I be concerned? Should I get it outta there? I'm in the Northeast where it's cold (25 F today) so the fluid will definitely be thicker than what it would be normally be.
Advice? Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback!
Max

wont hurt anything I'd leave it alone.

Transfer case has nothing that uses "friction" in it.. and fluid thickness doesnt matter much.

If it's just a basic chain driven part time transfer case, it won't care what's in it as long as it's not too heavy or gear oil.

A Np 231/241/271 won't care; any light oil that isn't gear oil will work.

From what I am aware of, the LSD additive should not hurt the transfer case.
I have used gear oils with the LSD additive already in them, in transfer cases and differentials that didn't require the LSD additive.

Should be fine. That being said: It's what... 2 quarts in your tcase? Inexpensive to drain and fill again if it helps put your mind at ease

As stated, only if you have an "auto 4wd" setting that uses friction clutches will there be a problem. Normal 2wd, 4hi and 4lo cases don't have any issue with LSD additive.

Wow - GREAT feedback! Thank you all so much for the quick and helpful responses, it's very much appreciated! Yea, it's typical 2 hi, 4 hi, 4 low ...
@Snowdrifter - yea, it's a good point, it wouldn't take much to just change it again and I might but I didn't know how urgent I should make it.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
I would change it as soon as feasible. The specific chemistry in a LSD additive is NOT compatible in any way with an ATF.

Yeah that's what I was kinda worried about but I don't really understand it at all. I mean they're all oil based lubricants right? How can they not work (blend) together?
Other than different qualities or characteristics (viscosity, ideal performance temp, heat dissipation) don't they all do the same thing??

Thanks Mola!

Originally Posted by Max_Pressure
Yeah that's what I was kinda worried about but I don't really understand it at all. I mean they're all oil based lubricants right? How can they not work (blend) together?
Other than different qualities or characteristics (viscosity, ideal performance temp, heat dissipation) don't they all do the same thing??

Thanks Mola!

They do NOT all do the same thing.

It is not the blending as most oils will mix with each other and not all lubricants are the same. Just because one oil will mix with another doesn't say anything about actual compatibility and how it will affect the machinery.

ATF's and GL-5 gear oils are both lubricating fluids and will readily mix, but you would not logically want to mix ATF with GL-5 gear lube and put that mix in your differential. Viscosity and additive differences are just two of the issues.

Not all lubricants have the same additive chemistry which is why we use specific additive packages for specific applications in finished products.

Likewise, LSD additive, while it will mix with the ATF, is not suitable in a mechanical component speced for ATF because it will affect the total chemistry of the resulting mix, and not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back