2015 Subaru Forester XT differential oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bitog!

As I am approaching 60 000 kms, I decided to change both differentials' oil.

I read a post on subaruforester.org and it looks pretty simple, so I bought amsoil svg 75w-90 for both differentials. A while ago it was the best gear oil from what I read online, is it still a good oil?

Also, in the manual it says that the front differential shoud use something called extra mt as it is in the same window as the manual transmission. It says GL5 could be used but could affect drivability...

Is the Amsoil svg 75w-90 a good oil for the front diff?

We use SVG in all front and rear diffs on Subaru's at my shop, never had a single issue.

SVG is regarded as one of the best gear oils, period. There is no "front differential" per se on a stick Subaru, the diff is integrated and shares the manual transmission lubricant. There is a separate differential for auto/CVT.

If you weren't using SVG, the only other gear oil I have used that I would wholeheartedly recommend is Motul Gear 300.

Motul Gear 300 is the best, on paper. I have some leftover (and more hat I picked up a couple of years ago) in my stash for my FXT...whenever I get around to changing it.

I'd personally choose Redline over this, too.

Amsoil SVG, like the Gear 300 and Motul's Gear 300, is very much overkill. I asked Redline for their advice on my previous STI and they told me Shock Proof was overkill.

yes its fine, as mentioned the Manual transmission model shares a sump with the front diff so they spec a different oil for shifting quality and fuel economy.

since you have the cvt.. you have the right oil 75w90 GL-5

just MAKE SURE you drain the diff in the front.. dont drain the cvt!

rear is easy.

AFAIK, all Subie MTs spec GL-5. With that said, finding a yellow-metal-safe or dual-rated GL-4/5 lube might be beneficial. Ive chosen Motul Gear 300 and Redline NS in the past.

I’d bet money that any brand of synthetic would do the job. The “best” doesn’t cost much more, though, so I totally understand wanting to go overkill. I intend to change my gear lunes once and never again. The Motul lube should not have a problem with this.

Thanks for the replies.

Does my vehicle have limited slip differentials and therefore need limited slip additives?

I tried looking online online and couldn't find this info.

Originally Posted By: jbutch

Does my vehicle have limited slip differentials and therefore need limited slip additives?

Nope - any good quality 75W-90 will work fine in your Forester. Subaru uses Torsen limited-slip diffs that don't employ wet clutches(and need the special Sturaco FM additive that the Detroit 3 and Eaton require). However, those are used in the WRX AFAIK.

I have M1 and Chevron Delo XDM between 2 Foresters. In a Ascent I might be maintaining, I plan on doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back