Mobil 1 differential fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Mobil 1 75w140 differential fluid. Is this good stuff?

Last edited:
I prefer other brands. It's totally just my own unmeasured perception, but the last two times I've used M1 diff fluid, it seemed to me to drain out notably thinner than it was when I pumped it in. I've used Valvoline syn, Castrol syn, and Amsoil. All have been good.

I have only used M1 75W90 LS gear oil/diff fluid, and I like it! But as "meep" mentioned, there are others to consider as well.

It stopped the clutch chatter in the Borman 6's LSD. At 350 Kmiles, The diff worked well. Up until I used 0w20 for the Camrys, it was the only synthetic lube I've used.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Nothing but M1 in the F150 differential along with some friction modifier.

Mobil 1 LS has the limited slip additive in it already if that helps.

Why I am leaning towards Mobil syn gear oil but also thinking about Amsoil Severe gear. Decisions, decisions?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Mobil 1 75w140 differential fluid. Is this good stuff?

It's gear oil. They all do the job effectively. If it meets your specs, any brand will do the job.

M1 75W-90 in my Tacoma V6. Drained FF @ 100K, refilled with M1, and just drained & refilled with M1 again at 200K. No issues. If I towed or hauled, I might change more often.

Have used M1 gear lube for 20 years … but couple years back, went to Delvac 1 since it did not need the LS additives …

Wondered that too ~ mPAO or something … in fact, that drove me to Valvoline when we changed my son’s Charger …

In the 90s and early 2000s I used M1 75-90 in a Ford truck and Merc GM diff. I put several hundred thousand miles on their gear oil and never had an issue. I did 100K diff changes and the fluid drained quite clear.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Have used M1 gear lube for 20 years … but couple years back, went to Delvac 1 since it did not need the LS additives …

Interesting.

My Taco does not have a LS diff. So, I wondered if it was alright to use the M1 75-90, because it does contain the LS additive. I went ahead and used it.

Do you think it will hurt anything? Honestly I can't remember if the M1 I used the last time back in 2012 had the LS additive.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Interesting.

My Taco does not have a LS diff. So, I wondered if it was alright to use the M1 75-90, because it does contain the LS additive. I went ahead and used it.

Do you think it will hurt anything? Honestly I can't remember if the M1 I used the last time back in 2012 had the LS additive.

Nothing bad happens if you use LS oil in an open diff. I used them in my mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and there weren't any problems in the 160,000 miles she owned it.

Never hurt anything in the past … M1 has always drained out clean at 40k … I just plan to run the D1 3 years and not miles
(most of mine being Eaton lockers) …

I know I’m running it short ~ but I had a complete break down (dino in 30k) that cost 60 times what an oil change does
(Have an aftermarket cover, so it is easy)
Have sampled after low water crossings and looked good …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back