Rear brake pads for my 300ZX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My passenger side rear brakes are barely beginning to make a subtle grinding noise from about 5mph to a complete stop. Weather permitting (my house has no garage) I'm going to replace the pads. These are the original oem pads,and have never been replaced. What everyone's recommendation on pads? Would Nissan oem be the best?

Always go OE unless there's a specific thing you want to improve (and a price you're willing to pay for that improvement).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Always go OE unless there's a specific thing you want to improve (and a price you're willing to pay for that improvement).

I agree 100%
I tell people this all the time unless they don't want to pay dealer prices. Maybe you can find OE on Amazon or ebay. However, if you want to change a particular characteristic of the brakes then use something else.

I tell people the same with OE tires. If you like the way your vehicle is when new and don't want to mess anything up, buy the same tires unless they're not available.

Nissan OEM. You can get away with Akebono aftermarket or PBR pads as well at the expense of noise and feel.

Rock Auto has the OE pads for $25, and they are made by Advics. They are listed under the Beck/Arnley name, and the part number will start with 089- and the description will say "OE Pads"

The best rotors to get are EBC Premium rotors. Autoanything has the best price on EBC brakes, and if they lower the price or go on sale, they will refund you the difference, even up to a year later.

If you need calipers, get them at Napa because their calipers are coated to help stop rust.

Speed bleeders are awesome and make it very easy to change out the brake fluid

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Rock Auto has the OE pads for $25, and they are made by Advics. They are listed under the Beck/Arnley name, and the part number will start with 089- and the description will say "OE Pads"

The best rotors to get are EBC Premium rotors. Autoanything has the best price on EBC brakes, and if they lower the price or go on sale, they will refund you the difference, even up to a year later.

If you need calipers, get them at Napa because their calipers are coated to help stop rust.

Advics doesn’t even make pads for Nissan. Nissan uses Hitachi and Akebono.

I went by Nissan and they don't keep the pads in stock but can order them ($80 a pair). I know them over there really well and they told me to get Napa ceramic which are around $30 a pair and that I don't need to spend $80 on the oem ones,especially since they're the rear brakes.

What's everyone's opinion?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I know them over there really well and they told me to get Napa ceramic which are around $30 a pair and that I don't need to spend $80 on the oem ones,especially since they're the rear brakes.

What's everyone's opinion?

Baloney, the rears have less of an impact but they still matter.

You can probably buy the OE pads off eBay for a lot less money. If you want I can buy them and ship to you. Nissan is offering 35% off msrp to shops for fast moving parts right now.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The OEM calipers on the Z32s are Sumitomo - now Advics. Advics is a joint venture between Sumitomo, Denso and Aisin. The 4-pot non-Brembo calipers that Toyota, Nissan and Subaru uses are Sumitomo/Advics units.

For this application I'd be looking at akebonos first. While I don't care for them on trucks, they've been good on all the passenger vehicles I've put them on. Low dusting and good performance. If you want more performance at the expense of a little dust, I have had good experience with Hawk pads.

Originally Posted By: nthach

The OEM calipers on the Z32s are Sumitomo - now Advics. Advics is a joint venture between Sumitomo, Denso and Aisin. The 4-pot non-Brembo calipers that Toyota, Nissan and Subaru uses are Sumitomo/Advics units.

That is news to me. All of the G35/G37 and Nissan pads I have seen are either Hitachi or Akebono.

Beck/Arnley 089-1406 pads are the OE pads in an Advics box with a B/A label on them. Rock Auto has them for $25
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach

That is news to me. All of the G35/G37 and Nissan pads I have seen are either Hitachi or Akebono.

The A32 Maxima/I30 of the late 90s also came with Sumitomo/Advics as well
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back