New 2017 F-150 4x4 10 speed auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Brother just purchased a 2017 F-150 4x4 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed Transmission. I know it's only been out a short time but does anyone have any insight on the best transmission fluid for this unit. (Just OEM?) Im not a ford guy but any recommendations for his Transfer case & Differentials as well ? I know GM full size trucks/suv's have a trans fluid temp gauge, what about ford ? He will be towing an 8500lb trailer & would like some added protection. Thanks

Stick with the Ford Mercon ULV fluid. It is an ultra low viscosity fluid developed for this transmission. Even towing 8500lbs he won't need to change it before 50k miles. The newer trucks, (I have a 2016 Max Tow) use a 75w85 rear axle oil that is a departure from ford's previous 75w140 fluid. Probably for better EPA ratings. That might be the only place where he can upgrade, but not really required until he has at least 50k on it as well. Before he tows 8500lbs, make sure he has the payload rating to take the tongue weight. That and rear axle ratings. His tongue weight for anything except a boat should and will probably 10-13% of the trailer's weight to be stable. That can use up payload and axle capacity quickly.

His dash center screen has transmission fluid temperature option to be displayed. I forget exactly where it is,but it can be displayed.

Great choice, but I'm biased.

Last edited:
Jim Allen (who has forgotten more about axles than any of us have ever known) says that nearly all of the wear that occurs in an axle happens during the first 10K miles and he changes his fluids early. If it were mine, I would dump the rear axle at about 10K and since he is towing, I would upgrade the viscosity back to 75W-140 which is what Ford had just a few years ago in that same axle. The front axle and transfer case can wait awhile (unless the 4x4 part is used frequently).

If 75W-140 is not desired, I would absolutely move to a 75W-110 which has the viscosity the upper range of 75W-90 had before the J306 tables were updated not so long ago. For fluid choices, I would use Amsoil Severe Gear which is arguably the best gear oil on the market today. Have a look at the UOAs from my 2010 FX4 and you can see the trending that happened regarding wear metals. The highest levels were very early and though the later runs had many more miles, less wear metals were created.

I would check the rear diff fluid ASAP. For my '15 I only was able to drain 1 qt when I pulled the cover but was able to refill with the near 3qt spec'd in the manual. I've heard of a few others on the F150 forums having the same issue. Redline is always my choice for diff fluid.

OEM fluid in the transmission.

Truck should have both a needle type guage on the dash showing the transmission temp, and the actual transmission temp is available in the many screen selections. If he has not had a ford transmission like this, he should be prepared to see higher transmssion temps than he is used to seeing (190+), but they are perfectly normal (assuming the 10 speed runs at the same temps - Ford has been running these temps in earlier units like the 6R80 going back 10 years in various platforms, and the transmissions have a good reputation).

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
I would check the rear diff fluid ASAP. For my '15 I only was able to drain 1 qt when I pulled the cover but was able to refill with the near 3qt spec'd in the manual.

That's messed up
crazy2.gif

I would document it being low on factory fill . In case you have problems latter on .

I agree , very bad deal . :-(

Best of luck to you , :)

Nothing wrong with the LV. I like LG red as well, although you'll get a lot opposed to that. For diff I would at least go 75w110( Redline or Amsoil). I think the t-case is LV as well not positive though. Your brother bought a nice truck!

I'd never heard the theory that the majority of wear occurs in the first 10k miles (Axle gears). I've been doing mine about every 40-50k. (Front & back). As a side note I've noticed (on traditional trucks & SUV's) the fluid in the front differential always looks much worse. I believe this is due to lack of use. Probably a good idea (when safe) to engage that front differential more often. For City / suburban dwellers with little snow or nearby trails, it makes it tough.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I'd never heard the theory that the majority of wear occurs in the first 10k miles (Axle gears). I've been doing mine about every 40-50k. (Front & back). As a side note I've noticed (on traditional trucks & SUV's) the fluid in the front differential always looks much worse. I believe this is due to lack of use. Probably a good idea (when safe) to engage that front differential more often. For City / suburban dwellers with little snow or nearby trails, it makes it tough.
Neither had I until I collaborated with Jim Allen, but you can easily see it happening in my UOAs of my rear axle. Here is a snapshot:

Code:
Truck Mileage: 149,289 69,600 13,300

Oil Mileage: 79,689 56,300 13,300

Iron: 120 148 429

Look at the oil mileage versus the iron. The last UOA had nearly 6x the mileage but produced 3.5x less iron versus the first UOA.

Yes first few thousand miles all the burrs and rough spots get " worn in " .

Good reason to dump the initial fill of engine , transmission & differential ( or trans-axle ) pretty " early " .

Get rid of those metal particles that are floating around .

Best Wishes , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back