'16 Silverado diff fluid M1 vs. Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey yall,

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500, im coming up on 10k miles and im going to be changing the diff fluid, transmission fluid and transfer case fluid in my truck to ensure i get any break in metals out of the vehicle. My question is: Is there a noticable difference in Redline 75w-90 and M1 75w-90? Obviously the price is different, but which would be better for cleanliness, service interval, and overall wear?

Im overly OCD about vehicle maintenance, even if it is not necessary. I will spend the extra money to ensure my vehicle is always 100% and to satisfy my need to over maintain
smile.gif

Thank you in advance for replies.

Personally I would keep it in for 50k. The Delco "grape juice" fluid is a quality full syn and 50k is considered severe service recommendation. Nevertheless I would use M1 if given the choice.

I hear you, i just personally want to service new vehicles within 10k-15k miles to give it a 100% clean slate after break in, especially the differentials, to check backlash and see how everything is wearing and to also get whatever metal particles out that may be in there.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
Hey yall,

I have a 2016 Silverado 1500, im coming up on 10k miles and im going to be changing the diff fluid, transmission fluid and transfer case fluid in my truck to ensure i get any break in metals out of the vehicle. My question is: Is there a noticable difference in Redline 75w-90 and M1 75w-90? Obviously the price is different, but which would be better for cleanliness, service interval, and overall wear?

Im overly OCD about vehicle maintenance, even if it is not necessary. I will spend the extra money to ensure my vehicle is always 100% and to satisfy my need to over maintain
smile.gif

Thank you in advance for replies.

I'm with you! I'd use the Mobil 1. I don't see the need to pay up for RL, but that's just me. The Mobil 1 is a fine product. I have it in two of my three vehicles. When my Rubicon hits 10K miles I will be doing exactly what you did and use Mobil 1 in both differentials.

I recall when I bought my S10 ZR2, they recommended to change the rear diff fluid out at 7500 miles.

I personally would use Amsoil Severe Gear, either 75w-90 if its a commuter, or 75w-110 if its worked hard.

Great replies guys!
What benefits would i see with Redline or Amsoil over Mobil 1?
Keep in mind i will probably change fluid every 40k miles, or so, depending on boredom.
smile.gif

Will having an ester based lubricant extend life of the differential, bearings and such more so than mobil 1?
Looking forward to your replies!

I'm a huge Redline fan. I can tell a difference in my race vehicles so I figure it can only benefit my street vehicles even if I'm not at the limit. Even on my 2017 Miata going from factory fluids to Redline at 800 miles made a noticeable difference.

Will having an ester based lubricant extend life of the differential, bearings and such more so than mobil 1?

Mobil 1 gear oil is no slouch. I doubt it will make any difference at all, if it does I haven't seen any proof. I bet there are millions of cars on the road today with well over 100K miles that never had the differential serviced, ever.

Just that fact that you're changing it at 10K miles probably puts you ahead of 99.99% of the population. lol If it makes you feel better use the RL product, it's top of the line according to many users.

Demar, Well im hoping that my 2 year old will have this truck when he turns 16. I would love for it to go a million miles if at all possible! I miss my first truck, and wish id of kept it. I just like to take the best care of things that i possibly can, thats all. Any little thing that i can do to extend the life of the vehicle, im all for!
smile.gif
Will probably end up using Mobil 1 as i have used it before, and it wont be a very long interval. Was just curious if Redline was so much better that it would actually make a big difference... Thank you guys for answering my questions.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I recall when I bought my S10 ZR2, they recommended to change the rear diff fluid out at 7500 miles.

I personally would use Amsoil Severe Gear, either 75w-90 if its a commuter, or 75w-110 if its worked hard.

This. Use Amsoil Severe Gear.

Demar, Well im hoping that my 2 year old will have this truck when he turns 16. I would love for it to go a million miles if at all possible! I miss my first truck, and wish id of kept it. I just like to take the best care of things that i possibly can, thats all. Any little thing that i can do to extend the life of the vehicle, im all for!
smile.gif
Will probably end up using Mobil 1 as i have used it before, and it wont be a very long interval. Was just curious if Redline was so much better that it would actually make a big difference... Thank you guys for answering my questions.

My 30 year old son will have my 88 E-150 one of these days. I got it right shortly after he was born and it's still going strong. No Amsoil or RL gear oil was used. LOL
wink.gif
I took the best care of it that I could, it paid off. In fact it'still paying off. I doubt you'll have any problems, you're on the right track.

Honestly my Aerostar went well over 200K miles the cheapest off the shelf dino gear oil I could find. Changed at 100K miles, and never again. Hard NY severe service, always heavily loaded. My point is I don't think in the average vehicle it makes much difference as long at the gear oil meets the spec. Opinions vary though.

That's good to know. I don't know where I got this OCD tendency, but I just like new fluids in things and it makes me feel like they'll last a lot longer when in reality it may last a little longer but who's to tell? Lol. At least I'll be satisfying my own urge to change fluids more than necessary if nothing else. I think I will go with Mobil and maybe try something different next time to see if there's a difference that I can unscientifically feel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Honestly my Aerostar went well over 200K miles the cheapest off the shelf dino gear oil I could find. Changed at 100K miles, and never again. Hard NY severe service, always heavily loaded. My point is I don't think in the average vehicle it makes much difference as long at the gear oil meets the spec. Opinions vary though.

Is a dino gear oil inferior in performance ?

My personal opinion is that it isn't as much inferior as it just doesn't last as long as a synthetic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Changed mine out at 50,000 miles on my Silverado along with it's first transmission service.

I noticed no abnormal wear particles in either case.

I don't succumb to the BITOG theory of peer pressure and the draining of dollar bills.

Last edited:
No peer pressure here. I'd just rather get any sort of metal particles out from break in as soon as possible rather than leave them in there. I already said I'm OCD man. It bothers the absolute [censored] out of me. Lol. If for nothing else it gives me peace of mind.
smile.gif

No peer pressure here. I'd just rather get any sort of metal particles out from break in as soon as possible rather than leave them in there. I already said I'm OCD man. It bothers the absolute [censored] out of me. Lol. If for nothing else it gives me peace of mind.
smile.gif

That's the only reason why one should do it then. And not for the "over maintenance" that's done on this site.

Well, in all honesty, if some vehicles spec it at 10k miles or less to change the factory fill, why isn't it the same across the board? Even talking the same brand. A feller above said his zr2 spec'd it at 7500 miles. Is that for no reason? I'm sure that me changing it would make a negligible difference, but it is a difference nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back