Clutch slave cylinder restrictor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some discussion on one of my forums on the clutch slave cylinder for the Gen Coupe. There is a restriction on the actual cylinder at the fluid pipe entrance. The hole is 1mm.

Any thoughts on making it 2mm?

restricter-valve-2.jpg
resticter-valve-in-place-wflash.jpg
slave-cylinder-pipe-parts-2.jpg

My 85 Jeep CJ had one on the master cylinder going to the rear line that I was told I had to remove for disc Brakes which I did

On a lot of the E46 forums many took that inline restrictor and simply threw it away, connect hose back up without it. No bad reactions , just better clutch actuation and feel. On GTI forums they pull the restrictor piece out and reassemble, same good outcome. I'd say drill it as big as you want....

The "Drill Mod" was also very common on 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird for solving several issues and complaints.

The whole reason its there in the first place is to slow the fluid down to lessen drive-line shock in the event of a clutch drop.

Well I guess I'll just take it out. The fitting that it is pressed against on the end of the pipe has a 3mm opening, the actual pipe is 3.5mm.

It is spring loaded and seems like it would act as a bypass on compression. Maybe it is working mostly when you let up on the clutch?

Yes, a clutch line restriction is one way. It bypasses when you depress the pedal, only slowing the release of fluid. It limits driveline shock when dumping the clutch.

If you take it out, don't be an idiot, or loan your car to an idiot, or use valet parking.

Originally Posted By: djb
Yes, a clutch line restriction is one way. It bypasses when you depress the pedal, only slowing the release of fluid. It limits driveline shock when dumping the clutch.
Interesting manifestation of big-brotherism. None of my manual cars had "clutch line restriction" (or any any sort of hydraulic clutch), or (in over 900K total miles) suffered from "driveline shock".

This particular slave cylinder has no out line on it like normal for bleeding. I bet taking that restrictor out makes bleeding the clutch much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back