Should I use this Pennzoil ATF from 5+years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered what listed and pictured as Pennzoil Platinum LV multi-vehicle ATF from Pepboys.com but instead they sent me the old stuff from 5+ years ago called Pennzoil synthetic multi-vehicle ATF which is only good for Dexron IIIH. My main concern is that I wanted the Platinum ATF which is Dexron VI. The vehicle I plan to use it in is a 1998 and takes Dexron IIIH but how much better is VI will it make a difference? Should I use it or send it back and try to get VI? It was only $3.90 per quart, I should've known better but If I shouldn't use it does anyone know where I can get Platinum ATF for a decent price? Thanks

What I ordered

What I got:

Thanks for the warning. Was a week or two away from ordering it myself. Need to drop the cars transmission pan and switch it with a pan that has a drain bolt anyways.

I'd happily use what you got in a 1998 vehicle originally spec'd for Dexron III. Not a bad price at all for under $4 / qt.

If you look at the description of what you ordered using the link you provided only the image Pep Boys is showing is incorrect.

If you really want PP MVLV ATF, here's the link for ordering that product from Pep Boys. Currently $6.99 / qt. for PP MVLV ATF.

https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/1162211/01036

The PP MVLV ATF will start off at a lower viscosity than the product you bought.

Ok, I might try ordering one of those to see if it is the right stuff but I still have I feeling there still going to send the old stuff because Platinum sells for $10 a quart everywhere else while theirs is only $6.90...

I doubt that as I ordered & received PP MVLV ATF 2 months ago using the link I provided. Compare the description vs. what you ordered.

If you want a less expensive licensed Dexron VI fluid Kendall Versatrans LV is available for under $5 / qt. delivered to your door if you buy a 12 qt. case.

http://www.kendallmotoroils.com/versatrans-lv/kendall-versatrans-lv-atf

https://kendallmotoroil.com/product/versatrans-lv-atf

I returned the PP MVLV ATF I bought and went with Kendall Versatrans LV ATF instead for Mercon LV spec in my wife's 2011 Mustang.

Last edited:
VI starts at a lower viscosity than III. III did not require synthetic formulation BUT the product you bought is a full syn version based on the picture you posted. VI requires at least semi synthetic formulation, but PP MVLV ATF like other dual licensed fluids is a full synthetic formulation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheBeaz
Thanks, but how much better is Dexron VI is compared to IIIH?

In my DexIII and T-IV spec'd vehicles, it appears to be worse.

Somewhere a while back Molakule posted a detailed discussion of what the differences were in III vs. IV - some oxidization stabilizers, a mildly re-worked dispersant package, things like that. Nothing earth shattering IMO, but go search this issue if you want to know specifics.

The big deal is, to me, the viscosity. A full synthetic DexIII is what I want to run in my 1998 vehicle - I tried MaxLife which is a Dex VI fluid. The shifting is harsher (I was using Chevron MD3 before). A top choice for fluid would be what you have, and I am considering getting some of that to replace the Dex VI-type Maxlife in my older vehicles later this summer.

I am also considering Castrol Transmax High Mileage, which is only a group II+ fluid from what I can tell, but has an HM add pac and the Kv100 is 8.0, vs 7.2 for most Dex III and 5.9 for most Dex VI.

OP, here's the product data sheet on what you received based on the picture you posted. Personally, if I was in your position, I'd either run what you received or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF if I needed something with extra seal swellers.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxaTNUeExidldRck0/view?usp=drivesdk

Here's the product data sheet for PP MVLV ATF; as you can see it has considerably lower viscosity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz2NTEAdC4vxYVNRSGxuTWt6azQ/view?usp=drivesdk

Use DexIII in a 4 speed GM. We have had multiple cases where a full synthetic Dex VI was the wrong fluid even though GM claims it is backwards compatible, it sped the demise of the 4 speed units. With the additional friction modification, it takes too long for the clutches to fully engage. So I would use what they sent you. It's good fluid and the right stuff.

And the harsher shifting the other poster spoke about with maxlife was most likely due to the system pressure increases when the control unit sees the shifts taking too long. It raises the pressure via the electronically controlled pressure regulator valve to compensate and try to speed up the time to lock the clutches, creating overall harsher shifting. I have seen this in many older/worn 4 speed GM transmissions and transaxles. So, in these units it is best for me to use straight Dex3 or Dex3 HM like the castrol stuff mentioned above or some supertech high mileage.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
What would happen if that was used in 1 2006 gm 5 speed auto? Has anybody tried it?

Did that come originally with Dex III or Dex VI? It was around the change-over time, 2005/2006.

That car (CTS) has a 5L40E transmission made in France. It is the successor to the 4L30E I have in my Acura SLX made in the same factory and what I was referencing above about running better on DexIII thickness fluid. The earlier versions of this transmission would definitely run happily on that as they would have had a DexIII factory fill. I would ask at a Caddy forum about who's tried DexIII or what was factory fill for that year. I doubt there were any engineering changes for Dex VI and it would bet it would work (and work well), but I would check.

I have used Maxlife full syn (Dex VI viscosity) in a 4L30E GM, made in France automatic and it shifts just fine. (2001 Isuzu Trooper). But I have no idea with the 2006 Caddy/5L40E If it came with Dex VI, then I would probably use the same or an equivalent. If it came with DexIII, then I would use that instead.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
And the harsher shifting the other poster spoke about with maxlife was most likely due to the system pressure increases when the control unit sees the shifts taking too long. It raises the pressure via the electronically controlled pressure regulator valve to compensate and try to speed up the time to lock the clutches, creating overall harsher shifting. I have seen this in many older/worn 4 speed GM transmissions and transaxles. So, in these units it is best for me to use straight Dex3 or Dex3 HM like the castrol stuff mentioned above or some supertech high mileage.

Or if you wanted a full synthetic Dex III HM ATF, there's Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage ATF. I think that's what replaced what the OP received.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/o...2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=

https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/1162204/00840

Yep that's why the OP got a good deal, what he received is discontinued and replaced by PP HM ATF

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/...s-and-axle-oils

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I have used Maxlife full syn (Dex VI viscosity) in a 4L30E GM, made in France automatic and it shifts just fine. (2001 Isuzu Trooper). But I have no idea with the 2006 Caddy/5L40E If it came with Dex VI, then I would probably use the same or an equivalent. If it came with DexIII, then I would use that instead.

In a 2001 Trooper, you should NOT really feel much of a difference. But it's a slightly different transmission in one significant regard.

The 00 and up Isuzu products have a pulse-width modulated torque converter clutch (PWM TCC). It will change the feel of the 3 and 4 shifts dramatically and compensate for fluid differences theoretically. They also have different clutch materials to stand up to the heat and "controlled slip" situation.

In a freshly re-built pre-PWM 4L30E, I can tell a difference between VI and III thickness fluids. One is like butter, the other slightly firmer - but still works fine.

I bought every quart of the Pennzoil transmission fluid at 50% the clerance price. Under two dollars each. I would like to use in my 2006 five speed auto. I'll do a little more research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back