Filtet design I have not encountered before

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Wix filter like in this picture for my Fusion. I pulled out the old one and noticed it only had pleats. The new one I put in has that additional layer of filtering material on top of the pleats. I have not seen this before but I like that design.

I wonder how many other vehicles or filters run a similar design?

Screenshot_20200322-102756_Chrome.jpg

Common on some euro vehicles. It's to prevent snow from ruining the element. Some such air filters were and maybe still are, put on some Euro vehicles intended for cold areas in the U.S. and Canada. My wifes Audi had such a filter made by Mann.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Common on some euro vehicles. It's to prevent snow from ruining the element. Some such air filters were and maybe still are, put on some Euro vehicles intended for cold areas in the U.S. and Canada. My wifes Audi had such a filter made by Mann.

Yup. I've been using this kind of filter in my 530i up north.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Interesting...thanks for the pics. Is that extra material foam?

It's like a low density felt material on mine.

I've been driving in Canada for 34years and have always done my own maintenance. Never saw a filter like that before. Dealers of the vehicles I've owned never sold such things here (Audi, VW, Ford, Toyota, Honda, GM, dodge...). Learn something new every day. I've had snow pull into the air box, but the regular filters did fine.

Yes - the Mann air filter element that I used on my 1991 Volvo 740 had the same type of material adhered to the pleats.

Andrew S.

My 2014 Mercedes V6 had a pre-filter but it was not part of the replaceable filter. It was a plastic frame with what appeared to be black open weave felt. Never saw a replacement listed, so prob an MB part.
Possibly washable, but I didn't try it. Knocked the big parts off and re-used it.

2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ w/ LTG 2.0 GTDI has it as well, on all the AC Delco replacement elements. I was only able to get a Purolator that did not have the foam, everyone else including Wix has it.

Now my 2017 Fusion Sport w/ 2.7L V6 GTDI EcoBoost comes from the factory without the foam. But if you buy the replacement air filters from other brands like Wix and Purolator, they all have the foam. If you get the Motorcraft replacements, they do not have the foam.

Only other oddity I've encountered was the Chevy Cobalt air filter that has only 13 pleats and is made entirely of a synthetic material, like those washable filters you get for a vacuum cleaner. I'm starting to think the vehicles with fender mounted air intakes are more prone to sucking in snow and water, hence the OEMs movement for those foam filters.

On my Fusion the air intake is above the radiator, maybe the smaller Fusion engines have it mounted in the intakes hence the foam filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back