Nissan OEM filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone compared the Nissan OEM filter with aftermarket filters from Fram or Wix? The difference in build quality and construction is quite significant, in favor of OEM.

My *Made In Japan* Nissan oem filters are built like a tank. Part number 1520855Y0A

Never mind,I thought this was about oil filters haha. BUT,I do use Nissan oem air filters too (my car takes two). Part number 16546-30P00. Super thick,sturdy,and heavy.

The spec'd Nissan filter for my car is made in Mexico. From the teardowns on here, it appears to be very well made.

I bought a Wix to replace my OEM Nissan filter on my versa. They looked really similar in construction.

I haven't seen a new OEM Nissan/Infiniti filter in person, to be honest. I've used Fram and Wix on my G37, and get them at a good enough price. Given the thing takes two filters, I'm not sure what the dealer would want.

I've always used Nissan OEM filters on my 95 Maxima and have always been satisfied with the build quality. However, in recent years, there is now another line offered by Nissan called Value Advantage that I was unaware of since I put so few miles on my car so when I went in to get a new one, they handed me a "Value Advantage" filter in a box that, as I recall, was labeled made in Mexico. The filter looked completely different (including a screen on the top of the filter) from the Nissan filters I had been using for 20+ years so took it back and found out you can still get the other OEM version I was used but for some reason it doesn't come in a box anymore - just a sealed bag! Further inquires about the differences with Nissan customer support didn't really go anywhere other than the original version was regarded as superior but without any real explanation as to why. I've never looked outside of Nissan for my maintenance parts and will stick with the OEM air filters. Apparently, you just have to ask for that version now!

Nissan OEM filters are now mostly Mexican Gonhers. A few are Japanese-made Mahle filters.

Unfortunately, the Wix 57356 media cartridge is way too tiny! And to make it worse, for most newer Nissans, Wix actually specs the smaller 51358, which is a shorty version of the 547356 with even *less* media!

My choice would be the Fram Ultra XG7317 or the M1-110

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nissan OEM filters are now mostly Mexican Gonhers. A few are Japanese-made Mahle filters.

Unfortunately, the Wix 57356 media cartridge is way too tiny! And to make it worse, for most newer Nissans, Wix actually specs the smaller 51358, which is a shorty version of the 547356 with even *less* media!

i believe you talking about oil filters. This thread is regarding engine air filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard

i believe you talking about oil filters. This thread is regarding engine air filters.

whoops!
blush.gif

As far as the air filters go, I'd get a Fram TG (yellow media) or the Autozone STP Premium (red media) air filters. They are very lightly-oiled.

Purolator discontinued the P1 air filters that were oiled (and the media was blue in color)

Otherwise, go for Wix or OEM

Good to know as I use OEM Nissan oil filters too. Thanks for that! Hopefully those are good manufacturers!

Purolator discontinued the P1 air filters that were oiled (and the media was blue in color)

Otherwise, go for Wix or OEM

[/quote]

I just picked up a filter from Advance. The box says Purolator One but it is the yellow media and has the P prefix instead of the PA prefix.
So the boxes on some say P1 with regular filters in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back