Install Spindle Assembly

I need to replace one of the spindle assemblies on a Craftsman LT2500 (247 series rider so an MTD). It has been a good mower. The spindle arrived today. It is a Cub Cadet (reboxed MTD) spindle.

Question is the four bolt holes in the spindle do not come threaded. Should I use the self tapping bolts to cut the threads prior to installing or just do it as I install it in the deck? Any secrets to do it correctly and not break the bolts or the spindle? New assembly came with new bolts.

Thanks

Yes, I thought most use a bolt/nut combination. The nut ends up on the bottom side of the deck, near blades.

Look at how the old/bad spindle comes off.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a carriage bolt. I can see that being problematic if you ever need it off again.

Rather than threading the spindle holes, can you just have a bolt running completely through? Nut facing up if possible. (Not sure what kind of clearance you'll have at the pulley.) Use SS bolts or anti seize. Threading the holes yourself also assumes the metal is the same quality as the original. If it's too soft, I can see the threads blowing out.

Last edited:
I have always just used the self tap bolts that come with the new spindle. That is what the factory did. No need to overthink this.

When I rebuilt my Cub Cadet 42" deck a few years back, I replaced both spindle assemblies, belts, blades, etc. The replacements came with self tapping bolts; it went together nice and tight, and that tractor had a few more years of service before I sold it at an auction. Don't use bolt and nut combos, because they will shake loose eventually and damage the deck or worse. Just my two pennies... ...Ž

How is the original installed? Is there something unique to the replacement that makes the installation different?

I just did the same to a 42" craftsman deck The spindles were tapped Self tapping screws will do, I s'pose. I would run each screw about 1/2 way in before I tightened anything
grin2.gif

Unless if too difficult I will try tapping it with the self tapping screws as I install the part. I saw some videos where the person ran the screws in tapping the threads as a separate step then backed the screws out and then installed the spindle. I would think if that was how the part was designed to be installed it would already be pre-tapped. (I did see some aftermarket spindles that were pre-tapped but most were not including the OEM part) Hopefully will get to it this weekend.

Back