HDEO w/o API Gas Rating in Mower?

Many here report using 15W-40 or other HDEO in gas-powered lawnmowers. For this application, is a gas API service rating (e.g. SN) necessary, or is diesel engine oil sufficient?

The API grades of SM, SN, were developed for catalyst protection, so I avoid using them in OPE. I have been using Rotella T5 10w-30 (diesel oil) in OPE calling for 30 weight.

What Mower?

Push Mower - run anything.

Riding mower, lawn tractor.you can - and should get more picky.

Rotella T4 10w30 has been the defacto standard in ODPE for ages.

Got to be specific.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by viscous
Many here report using 15W-40 or other HDEO in gas-powered lawnmowers. For this application, is a gas API service rating (e.g. SN) necessary, or is diesel engine oil sufficient?
.. Peruse the uoa sections and the virgin oil section and look at the additives used , ponder your findings.Report back.

The most important thing to do with a lawnmower is to check the oil level before each use. A 15W-40 may use less oil than a 10W-30 motor oil, but my oil temps run about 210 degrees during the summer so I see no need for a thicker oil. I also use the mower a few times when it is cold out and I feel the mower will start easier with 10W-30 versus a thicker oil.

This has been discussed a lot, and I really don't think it's a big deal using it in OPE. I have to admit I feel better with the cert, but I really think, such as the case with some of the Rotella oils, they simply don't want to pay for the testing for the cert for gas engines when there's tons of oils out there to choose from for that cert.
I use 15w40 oil in my gas tractor, now for a long time, and it's a great choice.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
What Mower? Push Mower - run anything.
Yes, a push mower.

Originally Posted by CT8
Peruse the uoa sections and the virgin oil section and look at the additives used , ponder your findings.Report back.
What should I look for? Phosphorous? No need to worry about catalytic converters in a push mower, you mean?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
What Mower? Push Mower - run anything.
Yes, a push mower.

Originally Posted by CT8
Peruse the uoa sections and the virgin oil section and look at the additives used , ponder your findings.Report back.
What should I look for? Phosphorous? No need to worry about catalytic converters in a push mower, you mean?

Yes and zinc etc. The oils will be fine.

I run 5w40 Mobil Delvac 1 or Rotella T6 in my 1996 Kawasaki powered John Deere and in my 5hp B&S powered DR string trimmer. No issues at all, run smooth.

For small engines, you could literally walk into an auto parts store, close your eyes, and any oil you pick will probably work just fine. I work on small engines on the side, and I've seen 20 year old mowers where the oil has never been changed and they don't even smoke or burn oil somehow. Changing it will certainly make it last longer, but they aren't picky. Keeping the oil full on small splash lubricated engines is more important than the viscosity used.

Mowed today at 93F … recently changed from 5w30 to some old Delvac 15w40 CK …
19 HP Briggs never ran better …

Back