Getting a new push mower.. honda power vs briggs?

So I had a honda powered craftsman over 12 years ago (160 engine) and it was extremely reliable but I had to continuously slow down in thick and taller grass... just seemed to bog down a bit. It was given to me by a cousin... long story short 11 years ago I bought a "master cut" (mtd type) with a 158cc briggs 550 engine. Well this year its blowing smoke and time to get a new one. Honestly this has been the best piece of power equipment I've ever owned. Goes through thick grass at any pace, doesnt bog, chops up every stick I run over, starts first pull after spring etc.. sad to see it go.

I see now most the 550 series are 140cc.. but I can get a good deal on a troy bilt with a 160 Honda engine.

How are the Honda engines now? Do they bog down in the tough stuff? How is the 140cc briggs in comparison? Dont want to spend a lot as we're remodeling our bathroom currently.

Aa for the troy bilt.. I've seen people had issues with the front bumper "rake"... anything I should know about those? I'm a big briggs fan but I'll jump to the Honda if I wont be disappointed in the power when needed. Honest opinions only, please don't make this a Honda vs BS war

I have the Honda GCV 160 which is the normal Honda motor for the least expensive mowers. The mower is a Toro self propelled "recycler" type and can bog in damp or really long grass. It came with a clip on to convert to a side discharge by flipping up a spring loaded plastic flap.That's the ticket to get through the tough stuff. It just plows through everything when in the side discharge mode. It apparently has a max torque of 8.4 ft lbs at 2500 rpm.

Last edited:
There are these two 163 CC Briggs engines. One has 6.75 ft lbs of torque at 2600 rpm as per SAE J1940 and implicitly the other one might have 7.25 but not sure.

6738FE0A-6026-44F3-B90A-7C9A82886BA2.jpeg

34337A99-187F-4109-AC44-C1E7C3CA709F.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had both. And for the same/similar money, you get more torque with the B&S for that higher grass but the Honda's have been more reliable for me.

Last edited:
Both are good. However, I would give a Honda a slight edge as a more efficient engine. why ? it can accomplish equal or higher power ratings with a smaller cylinder displacement. B & S is 190 CC and Honda 160 CC.

Last edited:
I have had both B&S and Honda. Still use the Honda each week over 10 years now. I like the B&S also have one on my pressure washer and is very reliable. One thing with some newer B&S I do not like is all plastic carb. We purchased one for my parents place at the beach and it does not run smooth at all. My neighbor has one and she has trouble starting hers and it does not run smooth up and down.

I have mowers with both the Honda 160cc and 190cc motors. The 160 bogs down quite easily in my non-demanding lawn, while the 190 does a much better job - better than you would think a mere 30cc increase in displacement would do.

Got a 7.25 B&S mower from Sears last summer to replace an older 6.75 (that was loaned out) … came home from a trip and the garden tractor would not crank (needed solenoid) … so it had to cut thick grass day one and has the power to do it.

I can find a mower with the 6.75 briggs but not the 725 (that is not self propelled)

I came from an old mower (2009) with Briggs 675 series 190cc engine to a new Honda GCVx 145 engine mower.

The Honda runs smoother, starts absolutely effortlessly (one pull it runs, Honda easy start system).

Cuts grass like it's going through air.

I always wanted to own Honda powered gardening equipment - my new mower is the first one. Very impressed so far.

Yeah mine is FWD … tends to be two pull starts (that is mentioned in brochure) … think one pull re primes and second pull starts it. Assume they do that to prevent stagnant fuel issues? Easy pull anyway …

If you don't mind spending the money, Snapper has available mowers with a larger B&S engine with more torque than most any other mower you'll find

Stupid question but I've never owned a self propelled.. do you have to use the self propel or does it push freely?

What's the weight difference between self propelled and non?

Have you considered repowering it with a Harbor Freight engine.

I did that some years back when they had the Greyhound engines. A supposedly licensed copy of the Honda 190cc engine. I got another 8 or so years out of the deck before I sold it on for $25.

I think it was under $100 to buy the engine and the longer cable I needed for the blade brake.

The Predator engines look even better.

If you like the deck, consider repowering it with https://www.harborfreight.com/55-hp-173cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-carb-69731.html

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by sh40674
So I had a honda powered craftsman over 12 years ago (160 engine) and it was extremely reliable but I had to continuously slow down in thick and taller grass... just seemed to bog down a bit. It was given to me by a cousin... long story short 11 years ago I bought a "master cut" (mtd type) with a 158cc briggs 550 engine. Well this year its blowing smoke and time to get a new one. Honestly this has been the best piece of power equipment I've ever owned. Goes through thick grass at any pace, doesnt bog, chops up every stick I run over, starts first pull after spring etc.. sad to see it go.

I see now most the 550 series are 140cc.. but I can get a good deal on a troy bilt with a 160 Honda engine.

How are the Honda engines now? Do they bog down in the tough stuff? How is the 140cc briggs in comparison? Dont want to spend a lot as we're remodeling our bathroom currently.

Aa for the troy bilt.. I've seen people had issues with the front bumper "rake"... anything I should know about those? I'm a big briggs fan but I'll jump to the Honda if I wont be disappointed in the power when needed. Honest opinions only, please don't make this a Honda vs BS war

Back