Poulan 2900 46cc kicking my butt - Won't stay running

I got this unit as a throw when buying a guy's generator.

I finally got it running and it ran ok for a half hour session.

Couldn't get it restarted and decided to try Chinesium carb/spark plug/air filter.

It ran ok for about an hour. Couldn't restart. Tried a few days later and then a few days later. After much travail, could usually get it running for a few minutes.

I played with the L/H adjustments, starting with the 1.5 turns out point... a few times I got it to idle pretty nice at certain adjustment level, though most often it would bog under full throttle. And then after a few minutes
it doesn't want to idle or restart.

I checked based on one youtube and verified muffler screen not caked. I checked my source fuel can in a glass jar and though hard to tell because of color of 2-stroke oil, doesn't appear to contain separated water.

My best guess is intermittent coil. About $20 on Amazon. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I should have included- new fuel line was included in kit but did not change it initially due to new line OD being much bigger than stock. Today finally opened up the hole into tank to accommodate new fuel. No difference, I don't think.

I have never owned a Poulan saw I could honestly say I was the possessor of.
All of them I had high expectations for, and all of them have failed miserably.

My Stihl and Makita (Dolmar made, Germany) are so well made, so well-performing, and so reliable....
There's just no sense in subjecting yourself to the frustration.
Originally Posted by deanm11

YES - I suggest that you Don't fight it - - sell it to someone else to play with.

I got this unit as a throw when buying a guy's generator.

I finally got it running and it ran ok for a half hour session.

Couldn't get it restarted and decided to try Chinesium carb/spark plug/air filter.

It ran ok for about an hour. Couldn't restart. Tried a few days later and then a few days later. After much travail, could usually get it running for a few minutes.

I played with the L/H adjustments, starting with the 1.5 turns out point... a few times I got it to idle pretty nice at certain adjustment level, though most often it would bog under full throttle. And then after a few minutes
it doesn't want to idle or restart.

I checked based on one youtube and verified muffler screen not caked. I checked my source fuel can in a glass jar and though hard to tell because of color of 2-stroke oil, doesn't appear to contain separated water.

That is it, you are guessing. When it fails to start, do you lose spark?? Will it attempt to start with ether? I don't trust anything coming from China and would look more closely at that cheap Chinese carb. A long shot, look at the flywheel and key. I have a Stihl chansaw which had a flywheel with a screwed up key slot which threw the timing off just far enough that I couldn't start the dang thing. Could also be worn out where the compression just won't pull in the fuel from the carb.

Last edited:
Thank you for the ideas... I am going to try to check the spark. I had read sometime last night about worn crankshaft seal or the like can lead to not enough vacuum to draw the fuel/air mix.

My next saw will be a nice Stihl for sure when I'm ready to spend the money. (ms291)

Dean

Verified good spark while in no start condition this morning. Started right up on ether. It would run very briefly.. you could see at least some fuel flow through gas line.

Thank you for the ideas... I am going to try to check the spark. I had read sometime last night about worn crankshaft seal or the like can lead to not enough vacuum to draw the fuel/air mix.

My next saw will be a nice Stihl for sure when I'm ready to spend the money. (ms291)

Dean

Nice Sthil MS 261cm that's when your ready.

Originally Posted by dave123

Dean

Nice Sthil MS 261cm that's when your ready.

Shop around, the new Stihls are not what they used to be and have been cheapened quite a bit. I would look at Husqvarna and Echo.

Last edited:
My mean green no starting machine went to the curb at one year. Bought a Stihl gasser and Worx 120v
I do lots of light jobs with the electric … so quiet and easy to control.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Echo is an excellent saw in the non pro class.

Correct and it's not in the class of a Stihl 261 pro saw or Husqvarna 550xp

Back