Pressure Washer - Racing Oil?

pressure washer calls for 30 wt. or 10w30. I have a lot of Valvoline RACING oil 10w30. Not rated and probably has no detergent additive. Should stand up to the very heavy loads and high summertime heat. This unit bakes oil real quick. What say ye?

Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm pretty sure that your Valvoline racing oil hads Detergents. You want a ND sae30. You do not want a detergent oil in that application.

Usually I agree with you, but here no. I would not run a no detergent oil in any combustion engine. I don't think it has any add pack or anti-wear components. ND oil is for hinges, and maybe compressors.

In the pump maybe, but not the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm pretty sure that your Valvoline racing oil hads Detergents. You want a ND sae30. You do not want a detergent oil in that application.

Usually I agree with you, but here no. I would not run a no detergent oil in any combustion engine. I don't think it has any add pack or anti-wear components. ND oil is for hinges, and maybe compressors.

In the pump maybe, but not the engine.

+1

If the oil has detergents which I'm pretty sure it does, it should be fine to run in the pressure washer.

What engine?

I have a vertical shaft Honda GCV160 (overhead cam) on mine, and it is super easy on the oil!

In the water pump, I always add a little STP to the oil.

OP Here this is for the crankcase. Valvoline Racing 10w30 is designed for racing car engines under SEVERE racing conditions - high RPM -extreme loads and very high heat. It is not recommended for use on public streets and needs to be changed often. I have several quarts that (I want to use in something and this pressure washer works hot and hard for hours on end in Texas summer heat. I think I will give it a shot and change it every 25 hours......

Originally Posted by hal26
I think I will give it a shot and change it every 25 hours......

I think that plan will be just fine.

It's very likely the engineering on your power washer engine was done 50 years ago....
meaning any oil made in the last 30 years will probably run it perfectly fine.

OP Here this is for the crankcase. Valvoline Racing 10w30 is designed for racing car engines under SEVERE racing conditions - high RPM -extreme loads and very high heat. It is not recommended for use on public streets and needs to be changed often. I have several quarts that (I want to use in something and this pressure washer works hot and hard for hours on end in Texas summer heat. I think I will give it a shot and change it every 25 hours......

It's not recommended on the street because the racing oil has higher zinc which can be bad for cat converters on passenger cars. This wouldn't be an issue on a pressure washer engine.

pressure washer calls for 30 wt. or 10w30. I have a lot of Valvoline RACING oil 10w30. Not rated and probably has no detergent additive. Should stand up to the very heavy loads and high summertime heat. This unit bakes oil real quick. What say ye?

Is this Valvoline VR1 Racing Motor Oil? If so then it is "rated", according to their PI sheet it is API SL and appears on the API EOLCS Directory:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/a61538b4-0cbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Back